Gap Insurance

About Gap Insurance


Extended replacement vehicle option

Cover can include a replacement vehicle for 28 days, compared with much shorter periods offered on many motor policies. 


Speak to an advisor

Sometimes, it's easier to talk things through with a real person. Our friendly team are here to chat through your specific needs and answer any questions. 


Choice of terms

Choose your length of cover to suit you - from 2, 3 or 4 years. Annual policies are also available if you choose to buy your vehicle when your finance agreement ends. 

Direct Debit


Get alternative quotes from our trusted panel of insurers before buying direct from your dealership

Features of Gap Car Insurance

Standard cover

Available regardless of where you bought your car

We can source gap insurance, even if you don't buy your car from a traditional dealership.

Suitable for customers buying new or used vehicles

Gap insurance isn’t just for those buying new vehicles, it can also be useful for motorists purchasing used vehicles, and vehicles on finance or lease.

Our specialist advisors are here to help

Sometimes, it’s easier to pick up the phone and have a chat. Our team are here to talk you through your best options available through our panel. Just let us know if you'd like to speak to the same person each time you call us.

Gap insurance can be purchased after you buy your vehicle

Don’t worry if you didn’t take out gap car insurance when you bought your vehicle, you can still take out cover now.

Gap Insurance FAQs


What is gap insurance?


If your vehicle is written off or stolen, your insurance payout will reflect the value of the car when the incident took place. If, for example, you have a finance agreement on the car, gap insurance could make up the difference between the payout you receive and anything you still owe on the car. It can also be helpful to put towards a new car, as it helps protect you from a financial loss if your payout is less than the car’s original value.


Do I need gap insurance?


Whether or not you need gap insurance depends on your specific circumstances. The question to consider is, would you want to buy a new car to replace your existing one if it was written off? Would you still owe more than you’ve been paid out on a finance agreement? If the answer to these questions is yes, you may benefit from buying a gap car insurance policy.  


Doesn't my comprehensive car insurance cover me?


If you’re covered by a fully comprehensive policy and your vehicle is less than 12 months old, you may be entitled to a brand new replacement if your existing car is written off. Double check your car insurance policy, and you can always make a note to take out gap insurance when the first year has passed.


Is there an insurance excess on my gap insurance policy?


Your motor insurer deducts your agreed excess from the write off value - and gap insurance pays the difference between this and the invoice value.

If the incident was not your fault and you have an uninsured loss recovery policy on your main motor insurance, then the provider will continue to claim the excess back for you. 


Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?


A fault claim is any claim resulting in your insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in the event of a claim, for example where a third party hit your vehicle, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable.


I’ve completed a speed awareness course – will this make my insurance more expensive?


No, in fact you do not need to let us know. We will need you to inform us of any unspent driving convictions before we provide you with a quote though.


If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?


Yes, you should inform your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your policy is always fully up to date, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9537 537.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your car insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL). Only available on an annual policy. 

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1798 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim