Freelancer Insurance

Bespoke freelance worker insurance policies. 

  • Includes cover for professional indemnity insurance, public. liability and cyber security.
  • Flexible freelancer insurance.
  • UK-based support 

Get a quote online or call us on 0344 892 1664.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Smiling woman sitting cross legged on a sofa typing on a laptop open on her lap
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4331 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose freelancer insurance with Towergate?


Cover for freelance workers

Bespoke cover for a variety of professions including creative roles, tutors, hairdressers and more.


Flexible freelancer insurance

Flexible cover that adapts as your requirements change.


Third-party public liability cover for freelancers

Protect your freelance business from claims of injury or damage caused by your work.

Direct Debit icon

Pay for your freelancer insurance by Direct Debit

Choose to spread your payment into 10 monthly Direct Debit instalments.

About freelancer insurance


Freelancer insurance to cover a range of businesses

From architect to tutor, accountant to photographer. Each type of business warrants its own insurance requirements. Our friendly team is available to discuss your business and help you find the most suitable policy for your needs.


Flexible coverage that can adapt for your contractual needs

As your demands change between contracts, your cover needs to be able to adapt in tandem to suit.


Choose from a range of features

There are a number of optional extras which can be covered within your policy including professional indemnity, public liability, product liability, business interruption, cyber security, contents, tools and equipment including work away and legal expenses.


Take your pick of our trusted partners

We work with a number of carefully selected insurance partners who can provide cover for the risks that come with operating as a freelancer. This means that once we’ve identified your requirements we will offer you the opportunity to choose from a selection of quotes from trusted advisers.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0330 018 2292 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Freelancer insurance FAQs

Whilst professional indemnity (PI) insurance is not a legal requirement, most businesses offering a design or advice service for a fee will need it. Allegations for errors and omissions can occur at any time and the legal defence costs can be very high, as can the compensation awards in the event of you being found to be at fault. 

Public liability insurance can help protect your freelance business from claims of injury or damage caused by your work. As a freelancer, having public liability insurance in place means you will be covered for the cost of settling the claim where you are at fault, including compensation pay-outs and legal defence fees.

Your need for Public Liability insurance protection depends on what level of exposure your business has with third parties.

This will vary across different types of businesses. Towergate can offer public liability insurance policies with cover from £1 million up to £10 million or higher. The amount you need will depend on several aspects:

  • Your business activities
  • The type of locations and environments you are working in
  • The processes involved, particularly if these are of a high-risk nature
  • The increasing court awards being made for personal injuries

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees but other cover depending on your business requirements include public liability, professional indemnity, buildings insurance, all-risk insurance, office insurance or cover for your equipment. Each freelance business will have different requirements to protect it from financial loss.

This is only a requirement if you have your own employees but if you do, then it is a legal requirement for you to have this insurance in place. The cover will protect employees and enable you to provide compensation for them if they have suffered an injury or illness, as a result of your negligence, during the course of their employment.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the policy summary and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Read more FAQs

Freelancer insurance articles and guides

Guide to Rights and Responsibilities for Freelancers

Do you work freelance? Thinking of a move into self-employment? In this article, we'll help you prepare for life as a freelancer with all the vital facts.

Read more

How to be Self-Employed: A Guide

Starting your own business is one of the most exciting career moves you can make. Our guide looks at the key things to consider when working for yourself.

Read more

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance?

What is the difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance? We define PL and PI insurance to help you decide if your business needs them.

Read more