About Retailers Insurance


Retailers cover for what you really do

Every retailer is unique, so we'll find the right policy for you from a range of insurer partners to give you peace of mind when you lock up at night.


Business interruption protection for retail businesses

If the worst happens and a fire or flood happens at your premises, cover the gross profits you’re losing out on.


Help with retailers insurance claims

We offer expert advice to make the process easy if you need to make a claim.

Direct Debit

Direct Debit payment available for your retail insurance

Help ease your cashflow by spreading the annual premium over a period of up to 10 months. See our Direct Debit page.

Features of Retailers Insurance

Standard cover

Cover for retail stock collection and deliveries

As long as you have directly hired drivers and your own vehicles, your collections and deliveries will be covered.

Shop front and glass insurance

If you are responsible for the glass within your retail premises, including showcases and cabinets and shop front, you can include it in your retailers insurance. We can specify if your glass is unique so you can ensure it is replaced like for like.

Cover for cash in retail premises

Even though it might not be the primary way of paying for goods now, you will still no doubt have some cash sales. Our policies will automatically extend to loss of cash from theft or other insurable reasons like fires or floods.

Retailers' public and employers liability cover

Injury and losses to employees and the public can be covered by our retailers insurance. Public and products liability cover is included as standard, as is employers' liability insurance if you have any staff (ensuring you meet the legal necessity to have this in place).

Retailers Insurance FAQs


What is retailers insurance?


A retailers insurance package policy is specifically tailored for the needs of your shop. The main elements that it should cover are your contents and stock, business interruption, money, combined liability cover for employers, product and public liability as well as glass. We can also include cover for buildings you own.


Do I need retailers insurance?


If you run a physical or online shop, you’ll want a retail insurance policy tailored to your exact requirements.


What is ‘Seasonal Increase of Stock’ insurance?


This is for shops and other businesses whose stock values fluctuate at different times of the year. For example, a school uniform retailer will have more stock in August/September, whereas other businesses such as toy and gift shops would increase their stocks prior to and over Christmas.

The policy will normally include a 25 to 30% seasonal increase in stock over Easter, bank holidays and 30 days prior to Christmas. We can tailor the months to meet your needs.

This cover allows your ‘sums insured’ to be increased by an agreed percentage for your busy times of the year, helping to keep your costs down. Make sure you let our team know if you'd like to add this cover.


What is ‘loss of licence’ cover?


‘Loss of licence’ insurance can cover reduction in value of your business due to loss of your wines and spirits licence at the premises. This cover is not included as standard so please ask the team for full details.


Do I need to cover glass under my retailers insurance?


Glass cover is normally included on a retailers policy as standard. However, you may need to include the shopfront if your lease makes your responsible for damage caused to it. If you have a unique window display or a particularly large proportion of glass on your shop front, speak to the team to make sure it’s covered correctly.


Can ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) be covered on my retailers insurance?


Yes, ATMs both inside and built into the walls of your retail outlet can be covered on this policy. Do remember that you must make the team aware of this to ensure you are adequately covered as this can increase the risks of theft and break-in.


I sell stock online, can this be insured too?


We can provide cover for stock sold online and any exports you make to outside of the UK. It is very important that you let the team know when running through your details to ensure they provide you with the correct policy for your needs. In addition to products liability, you will also need to consider if goods in transit insurance is needed for deliveries.


Can I pay for my retailers insurance in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on the number in your policy document and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim