About Foal Insurance


Tailored foal insurance

No two foals are the same, and our optional extras enable you to choose the level of protection that works for you.


Friendly advisors

If you prefer to speak to us in person, our expert advisors will be happy to help you find the best cover for your needs.


Flexible cover for foals

Optional equine extras include veterinary bills, personal accident cover and more.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

Split your horse insurance payments into instalments, subject to acceptance.

Features of Foal Insurance

Standard cover

Foal liability insurance

Foal insurance includes public liability cover. If your horse causes injury to a member of the public, or damage to their property, public liability insurance will cover any costs you’re faced with as a result. If a member of the public sues you because your foal causes them injury or damage. Insurance policies available typically offer liability cover from £1 million. Speak to one of our insurance advisors to find out more.

Cover for theft or straying

If your foal is stolen or strays, you may need to pay to advertise them as missing. Theft or straying insurance as standard means you’ll be covered for the costs (up to a specific sum) of advertising for the return of your foal.  If your foal is not found within 28 days of the theft or straying taking place, you may be able to claim the market value or the sum insured of the foal – whichever amount is lower).

Cover for the death of your foal

Should your foal suffer an accident, illness or disease, equine mortality cover as standard will protect you against the financial costs (excluding pre-existing conditions). Your policy may also cover you for disposal and euthanasia costs.

Additional cover

Foal insurance legal expenses

Lawshield, personal injury, uninsured losses and contract disputes.

Tack cover (starting at £1000)

To cover saddlery and tack including training tools, rugs, and boots.

Option to include personal accident cover

Optional personal accident cover protects you (and anyone you permit to take charge of your foal) in the event of accidental bodily injury, dental costs, and death, solely while riding or handling your horse. Speak to one of our specialists about adding this optional extra to your horse insurance policy.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.


Call the claims team

on 01536 486 060 and explain exactly what happened.


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.

Relaxed Person Making Claim

Foal Insurance FAQs


Do I need foal insurance?


Any foal is a costly investment. Unfortunately, unexpected events such as sickness, theft, injury, and accidents can prove costly. If your foal is involved in an accident, you could suffer serious injury or find yourself liable for compensation or legal bills as a result. If things do go wrong, choosing the right foal insurance can cover you against unexpected costs.


What is public liability insurance, and do I need it?


Public liability insurance protects you against legal costs incurred  as a result of injuries to members of the public and damage to property, caused by your horse.


What is personal accident cover on a foal insurance policy?


Personal accident cover insures you and anyone else riding your horse with your permission, against death and accidental injury caused directly by riding or handling. Note this does not cover riding for financial gain.


What does it mean when I have to pay an 'excess' on my foal insurance claim?


An excess is the part of a claim that you pay for yourself. Excess fees vary between horse insurance policies. Be sure to check your excess fees as well as your premium when selecting an equestrian insurance product. You may be offered a ‘flat excess’, which will remain the same regardless of the amount of the claim, or a ‘co-insurance contribution excess, which will be a percentage of the amount claimed.


What is permanent loss of use cover?


Permanent loss of use cover is an optional additional product and covers you for the sum of purchasing another horse for the originally intended purpose(s), if your horse can no longer be used for the activities you insured it for. However, if your horse is still capable of breeding, or undertakes low-level activities such as hacking, the insurer will usually only cover part of the sum.


What optional covers does Towergate offer as part of equine insurance?


While death, theft and straying of your horse are included as standard, we also offer optional extras under our horse insurance policies, including:

  • Veterinary fees
  • Personal accident cover for the rider, who may be you - or another person who is handling or riding the horse, with your permission
  • Saddlery and tack – damage, loss, or theft
  • Permanent loss of use – due to e.g. an accident, injury, or illness of the horse
  • Horse hospitalisation costs
  • Horse transportation costs
  • Third-party public liability
  • Tacks cover


What are your foal insurance exclusions?


We have provided a summary of the key exclusions applicable to our horse insurance policies. Full details of the cover provided can be found in the policy wording.


Can I pay for my equine insurance policy in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your horse insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


Where can I find full details of my foal insurance policy?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.