A Beginner's Guide to Commercial Combined Insurance

What is commercial combined insurance?

Commercial combined insurance is a policy which includes multiple types of insurance cover within one policy and is tailored to the specific business’s individual needs. It has a single premium and single renewal date.

Commercial combined insurance is a packaged policy which is commonly purchased by manufacturers and wholesalers, warehouses, factories and workshops, importers and exporters as well as distributors.

What does commercial combined insurance cover?

A commercial combined insurance policy can cover different aspects depending on your business requirements. In most cases it will be a combination of property, business interruption, money, public liability, products liability, employers’ liability and goods in transit cover. It is flexible and can include a combination of the following:

Property Insurance

      • Covers loss or damage to your property from fire and a range of hazards such as explosion, malicious damage, storm, flood, aircraft, impact, escape of water, accidental damage and theft etc.
      • Buildings – the structure of the property including out-buildings.
      • Tenants Improvements – permanent additions or changes made by the tenant to a leased or rented property.
      • Fixtures and Fittings – fixtures are any items that are bolted to the floor or walls such as kitchen units, bathroom suites boilers, and a fitting is any item that is free standing or hung by a nail or hook such as carpets and curtains, free standing ovens, fridges and washing machines.
      • Electronic Equipment – including computers and ancillary equipment, printers, copiers, phone systems etc.
      • Tools and Equipment – includes handheld tools, power tools, plant equipment as well as computers and other electronic items.
      • Machinery and Plant - all other machinery, equipment and apparatus used to carry out your business activity (not otherwise included in other property definitions above).
      • Stock – includes raw materials, work in progress and finished stock.
      • Business Interruption Insurance – This insurance will cover your continuing fixed costs and wages if you suffer a loss or damage to your premises after a fire or flood and your income is reduced as you can’t fully trade. When arranging cover it is very important that you consider how long it will take for your business to recover and choose the relevant length of time. Options available include 12, 18, 24 or 36 months. It’s therefore important to discuss this with us as you will need to take into account the time to rebuild your premises and get back to fully trading again. Allow for the unforeseen - such as delays, and time taken to regain lost customers.


Liability Insurance

      • Public Liability – financial protection for legal defence costs and compensation if you have a claim made against your business for accidental bodily injury to members of the public (third parties) or damage to their property which you are liable for.
      • Product Liability – protects you if your product is faulty and causes injury to a member of the public or damages their property.
      • Employers Liability – is a compulsory legal requirement for most businesses with staff (full or part time or voluntary. It protects you against compensation claims from employees suffering work related accidents or illnesses.


When arranging liability cover you must provide full details of all activities involved in your business. Importantly, whether you work solely from a premises or if there is any work away of a manual or non-manual type e.g. sales and administration, delivery, maintenance, installation, service and repair etc.

    • Money – includes loss, theft or damage of money up to an agreed limit. It can include money kept on the business premises during business hours and in transit to or from the bank, money left on the premises overnight in a locked safe or taken home by an authorised employee.
    • Book Debts – covers reproducing records and chasing debtors following loss or destruction of accounting records caused by an insured event.
    • Glass – accidental and malicious damage caused to glass (e.g. windows, shop fronts, displays) at your premises.
    • Commercial Legal Expenses – covers business legal expenses defence costs in Employment Disputes, allegation of Data protection breach or HMRC tax investigations.

Why do you need commercial combined insurance?

Commercial combined insurance can protect your property and business assets from loss or damage in the event of an insured loss. Whilst it is not a legal requirement, it’s certainly a prudent decision to arrange and gain financial protection. In many instances loss or damage cover is often a minimum requirement if you have arranged a commercial mortgage or lease equipment.

Commercial Combined insurance is flexible and a policy can be tailored precisely for your business. If you employ staff you are legally required to arrange Employers Liability insurance which can be included alongside Public and Product liability insurance. 

What are the benefits of commercial combined insurance rather than multiple policies?

One policy. One renewal date. One premium.

By bundling your cover together, you can create a flexible policy which can be more cost efficient than buying various insurances separately. You can amend the policy at any time to add or remove specific covers from your policy. Packaging your insurance under one policy with a single renewal date helps to manage your time efficiently.

What should you look out for in your commercial combined insurance policy?

  1. Security – Financial security and peace of mind is foremost. Therefore, using an insurer, with a good credit rating provided by a recognised rating agencies such as Standard and Poors, AM Best or Fitch, is very important.


  1. Reputation – Make sure you find a reputable insurance broker who will give you the right advice to get the right insurance for what you need and to explain the terms and conditions of your cover and any exemptions.


  1. Service – Finally you need to find an insurance broker with great customer service and a strong claims service.

Why choose Towergate?

As a leading brand in commercial combined cover, here at Towergate Insurance, we can offer access to a wide variety of commercial combined insurance products and solutions. We have experienced advisors available to discuss and assess your requirements. They will recommend the most suitable insurance to meet your needs and that can be tailored for you over the phone.

Commercial Combined Insurance at Towergate

For more information visit our Commercial Combined Insurance webpage or call 0344 892 1664 to speak to one of our advisors.

About the author

Mike Stephens FCII is a respected senior industry professional and Fellow of the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) with well over 40 years’ varied experience in the commercial insurance sector as a commercial insurance broker, underwriter, and conduct manager.


This is a marketing article by Towergate Insurance.