Travel Insurance Already Abroad

Forgot to buy cover before you left? Relax, you can still buy insurance while travelling, providing you’re no more than 17 days into your trip!

  • Travel insurance for those who are already overseas
  • We can provide cover for up to 31 consecutive days from inception
  • Four levels of cover available - select the level that meets your travel needs

Get a quote and buy quick cover online

Get a quote

Call our team and tell them every detail to help with building your policy

0203 829 3822
0203 829 3822

Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Feefo logo



What does travel insurance cover when you're already abroad?

Travel insurance after departure

If you've forgotten to purchase cover prior to your trip don’t worry, we can provide travel insurance while abroad as long as you haven’t been out of the country for more than 17 days, and you haven’t purchased another travel insurance policy for the first part of your trip. We’ll be able to give you the peace of mind you need for up to 31 days from inception.

Emergency Assistance Facilities helpline

Sometimes medical emergencies can happen and it’s quite a daunting thought when you’re not in your home country. If you fall ill and require treatment at a hospital, the Emergency Medical Assistance helpline will help you locate the nearest suitable hospital. In addition, if another person is required to travel with you for medical reasons, then we will look at covering those additional travel and accommodation costs. Please note the helpline is only available to aid you in emergency situations.

Cover for your personal possessions

Lost or stolen luggage is an unwelcome thought when you’re on your travels so it’s good to know you’ll have cover in place should you need it. It’s always best to prevent this from happening, so we’d recommend you always keep valuables locked in a safe and out of sight. If something has been stolen, make sure you notify the local police or airline within 24 hours of discovery. We’ll also cover up to between £200 to £500, depending on your policy, for any essential items such as toiletries and a change of clothing in the meantime.

Your personal money

Just like your personal possessions, we’d always recommend you keep your travel money on you or in a safe to prevent theft. However if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation where your travel money has been lost or stolen, ensure you report it to the police within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a written report to support your claim. You’ll then be able to submit a claim for loss or theft of money, from £150 to £1000, depending on your policy.

Travel Insurance Already Abroad Claims

This policy is administered by tifgroup and Union Reiseversicherung AG (URV). tifgroup has a specialist travel claims team, so it's the friendly team at tifgroup you'll speak to if you need to make a claim.

They’ll talk you through the details of your claim and advise you of the next steps in the process. If you’re claiming for any stolen property, make sure you have reported your loss to the Police and have obtained a written report and reference number - this will help with your claim.

We would also recommend you share your policy details with your next of kin, just in case they need to act on your behalf should you fall ill and you’re unable to make any contact with our claims team.

Need to make a claim?

Call us on:

(+44) 0203 829 6761

The team is available from 8:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday.

Alternatively you can email the team: or find a claims form online here:

Make sure you include: your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

Travel Insurance Already Abroad Articles & Guides

We've got a range of content about all things travel related, have a read here:

Holiday Home

insurance guide

A Guide to Holiday Home Insurance

Holiday homes need a specific insurance policy, as they can be left unoccupied, rented out or located abroad. Whether you've got a flat or a villa, in the UK or abroad, read our article and video guide to protecting your holiday home.


insurance guide

Buying a Holiday Home Guide

Profitable business, treasured home away from home, and very often a mix of both, a holiday home can be a fantastic investment to consider. Get the most for your money and enjoy your property for years to come with our helpful guide to buying a holiday home that’s right for you.

Travel Insurance Already Abroad FAQs

Can I purchase a policy mid way through my travels if I’ve forgotten to buy travel insurance?

Yes. You can purchase a single trip policy providing you haven’t been out of the country for more than 17 days and you haven’t been insured for the first part of your trip. If you buy online, you’ll just need to tick the box that says ‘already travelling’ in the 'options' section when purchasing.

What do I need to do if I fall ill abroad?

The policy provides an Emergency Assistance Facilities service, offering a 24 hour advice line to support you in finding the treatment you need. Contact the advice line on +44 (0)020 3901 1722. We recommend you keep this number handy when you’re travelling.

Do I need to declare any pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes. It’s really important to declare any pre-existing or reoccurring medical conditions. Use the online quote system or speak to an experienced member of the team to guide you through a quick medical screening process. We may be able to provide cover as this is assessed on a case by case basis with the confidential medical screening team.

What happens if my luggage gets lost or stolen?

Make sure you report it to the police within 24 hours of discovery, making sure you get a written report and crime reference number. If however some of your items are lost or are damaged during transit then retain your luggage tags and report it to the airline/rail company right away. If you find your luggage is delayed for more than 12 hours on your outward journey then you may need to purchase some essential items such as toiletries and a change of clothes – just keep your receipts and you’ll be able to submit a claim for up to £100.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.