TRIP: Financial Failure and Travel Insolvency Insurance for the EU Package Travel Directive

As one of the market leaders in travel protection insurance, including financial failure insurance, travel insolvency protection and passenger protection insurance, we have created a new financial failure and travel insolvency insurance scheme in order to meet the requirements of the EC Package Travel Directive in force from 1 July 2018.

Stranded passengers

What is the EU Package Travel Directive?

The latest version of the EU Package Travel Directive (2015/2302/EU), which brings it up-to-date with developments in the travel market, is applicable from 1 July 2018.

It extends the 1990 EU Package Travel Directive beyond traditional package holidays to protect consumers who book other forms of combined travel, such as a flight plus a hotel purchased together online. Under the new directive, such combinations are regarded and protected as a package for insurance purposes.

How does the EU Package Travel Directive affect tour operators?

The directive applies to three different types of travel combinations:

  • Pre-arranged holiday and travel packages – pre-arranged packages from a travel agent, tour operator or holiday operator made up of at least two elements, such as flights, transportation, accommodation, car rental, etc.
  • Customised holiday and travel packages – a selection of holiday and travel elements for the same trip, bought by the traveller from a single business, whether in an online or offline sale.
  • Linked travel arrangements – other linked marketing combinations for travel services. For example, if a traveller, after booking a travel service through a website, receives a targeted or specific invite and makes another booking through the same portal within 24 hours, they are not formally being offered a package. However, under the new regulations, in certain conditions his or her pre-payments will be protected by TRIP.

Travel Regulation Insolvency Protection scheme

Our specially designed Travel Regulation Insolvency Protection scheme is available to all tour operators, travel agents, holiday operators and accommodation/villa providers (subject to status upon application). We have in-house experts that specialise in travel protection insurance, passenger protection insurance and financial failure insurance who can advise the right Travel Regulation Insolvency Protection cover for you.

We are an ABTA Partner+ and are endorsed by ABTA for our products and services. The policy has been fully approved by ABTA’s legal team and is acceptable in the membership process.

For more information on any of our travel insolvency insurance and financial failure insurance policies, visit our webpage or call our specialist staff on 01932 334 140.

Note that this services is an alternative to travel bonding and therefore will not cover flights. 

Stranded passengers

Want to find out more about our Tour Operators Insurance?

More details

Do you want to read more?

We've got loads of business articles, tips, guides and videos. Take a look below for more.

Self Employment Guide

How to be Self-Employed: A Guide

Starting your own business is one of the most exciting career moves you can make. More and more entrepreneurs are making the leap, with the number of self-employed people...

View article
Customer Satisfaction

Customer loyalty and retention

It’s been said that it can cost up to 5x as much to win a new customer as it does to keep an old one. Customer retention is the life blood of any business, a business that...

View article
Cloud Thumb

Cloud Computing and SMEs

Is cloud computing right for your small business? Our infographic looks at the what, why and how of cloud computing and how UK SMEs can benefit from this new technology.

View article