Backpacker Travel Insurance

Specialist annual travel insurance for exploring the world.

  • Cover available for a range of adventurous activities
  • 24/7 Emergency Assistance Facilities service helpline included as standard
  • The perfect gap year insurance for the trip of a lifetime

Know what you need? Buy quick cover online:

Get a quote
Retrieve a quote

Call our travel insurance experts for questions and quotes:

0330 123 2249
0330 123 2249

We’re here for you Weekdays 9am - 5pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What can Backpacker Insurance do for you?

24/7 Emergency Assistance Facilities

Cover included for medical treatment at a suitable hospital and an Emergency Assistance Facilities service provided to help you locate the nearest and most suitable facility. Up to £1 million is available to cover medical treatment and associated expenses, however, please note an excess may apply to this section of cover unless you have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), Medicare in Australia or other mutual agreement between countries that enables a reduction in medical costs. The backpacker insurance policy doesn't cover routine non-emergency tests or treatment.

Cover for a range of travel activities

If you’re planning on any activities or a gap year trip whilst you’re away such as fruit or vegetable picking or catamaran sailing, we can provide cover as standard. However, if you’re feeling a little more adventurous and fancy cave diving or even shark diving, you can add this to your travel insurance at an additional cost. If you’re unsure which activities we cover or you can’t see your chosen activity, just give our travel team a call to see if we can cover it.

Personal Accident

The Personal Accident insurance section of the Backpacker’s policy provides compensation in the event of bodily injury, disability or death caused by accidental or violent events. Please ensure you let us know of any hazardous activities you’ll be attempting during your travels as, we cannot cover personal accidents which occur during activities not usually included on your policy, unless you have let us know to add them on. Full details of included activities can be found in our policy wording below.

Personal liability insurance

It might be unlikely but just in case, the policy provides personal protection for accidental bodily injury and property damage whereby you’re held legally responsible for the incident, up to £1 million. So if a situation does arise, you won't be out of pocket. Please be aware this cover will not apply in relation to the use of any motorised vehicle.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Tim Thornhill

Tim Thornhill

Head of Travel
“ Towergate is proud to offer a great range of Travel Insurance products. We aim to delight our customers at every turn, whether on the phone or through our new online journey which will be evolving throughout this year. Our team in Cheltenham will be happy to assist you to ensure a truly personal service and peace of mind on your travels.”

Backpacker Travel Insurance Claims

This policy is administered by Travel Insurance Facilities (TIF) and Union Reiseversicherung AG (URV). TIF have a specialist travel claims team, and it's them you'll speak to if you need to make a claim.

They’ll talk you through the details of your claim and advise you of the next steps in the process. If you’re claiming for any stolen property, make sure you have reported your loss to the Police and have obtained a written report and reference number - this will help with your claim.

We would also recommend you share your policy details with your next of kin, just in case they need to act on your behalf should you fall ill and you’re unable to make any contact with our claims team.

Need to make a claim?

Get the ball rolling, call on:

(+44) 0203 829 6761

The team are available from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.

Alternatively you can email the team: or find a claims form online here:

Make sure you include; your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

Backpacker Travel Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from Towergate:

Glamping in the UK


Glamping in the UK

What is glamping? Our infographic guide to glamorous camping will help you discover camping from a whole new perspective.

Falkirk Wheel And Visiter Centre


The Falkirk Wheel

Tucked away up in Scotland between Edinburgh and Glasgow and named after the nearby town of Falkirk, stands a one of a kind feat of engineering. Read up on the what, where’s and how’s and why it’s a must-see destination.

Americas Cup Catamaran Foiling


12 things you should know about the America’s Cup

The America’s Cup is one of the most prestigious boat races in the world. These days it attracts household names (like Sir Ben Ainslie) to compete and hundreds of thousands of pounds are invested in making the boats more and more advanced every year. Here are twelve things you need to know about the America’s Cup.

Backpacker Travel Insurance FAQs

Are there any counties not covered?

We aren't able to cover for any countries that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against. You can check whether the country that you’re travelling to is listed the government website on the Foreign Travel Advice page.

Who do I contact in a medical emergency?

In a serious emergency, first call the local ambulance service. You will then need to contact the Emergency Assistance Facility service which is open 24 hours per day, seven days per week who will advise you what you need to do. We’d recommend you store the telephone number in your phone, just in case. It’s +44 (0) 203 829 6745.

What happens if I miss my flight home due to illness?

Don’t worry, providing you have contacted our Emergency Assistance Facility then your policy will be automatically extended to cover you for medical expenses until it’s agreed you’re fit to travel home. Our Emergency Assistance Facility Helpline service will liaise with you, and your treating doctor, and once you’re fit to travel they will make the appropriate alternative arrangements. Cover applies only if you or your family travelling with you become ill. If you are unsure whether you'll be covered by the policy to travel home, just contact the travel team.

What happens if I need to travel home early due to illness?

We’ll provide cover if you fall unwell and treatment isn't available locally however, first you should call our Emergency Assistance Facility service for advice.

What is backpacker's insurance?

Backpackers insurance, also known as gap year travel insurance due to its popularity amongst pre/post university students, provides covers for individuals going on longer trips, who are likely to undertake a range of different excursions.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.

Stay up-to-date with our latest news and offers

Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter

Newsletter Terms and Conditions

By signing up to Towergate’s newsletter you are agreeing to receive quarterly email communications containing a range of news, top-tips, competitions and occasional offers for insurance products and/or services. Our newsletters are designed to keep you up to date with what we’re involved in, as well as other advice and content that we think you might find interesting.

Should you wish to unsubscribe please click here, or email with your details so we can carry out your request.