Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Claim back the excess charged by car hire companies if your hire car is damaged or stolen.

  • Cover for up to seven additional drivers named on your rental agreement, as standard
  • Choose from single trip and annual car rental excess cover options
  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI) available with our Worldwide Plus cover

Visit insurance4carhire’s website and buy your excess protection online in minutes:

Get a quote
Feefo logo



What does car hire insurance cover?

Planning a holiday?

With insurance4carhire, you can buy your policy now and start your cover up to 364 days later – and if your flight is unexpectedly delayed, we can even cover late pick-up charges.

Additional drivers

Need to share the driving? All policies allow cover for up to seven additional drivers, providing they’re named on the car rental agreement. Just make sure the lead name on the rental agreement matches the lead name on the car hire excess insurance policy. Sadly, the policy does not cover camper vans.

Cover for damage and theft

Our car excess insurance policy covers you for damage and theft of the vehicle up to £6,500 per year. The policy also includes damage to windows, tyres, undercarriage, roof and headlights which can be excluded by the car rental companies own cover. We won't however cover; losses caused by accidental damage to the interior or contents of the rental vehicle or courtesy car caused by wear and tear or carriage of animals.

Car clubs and courtesy cars

If you’re a member of a Car Club, such as Zipcar or Car City Club, you can also benefit from excess protection to supplement your car club insurance. We can't currently cover schemes such as easyCar Club where there is no rental agreement in place. We’ll also provide excess cover for courtesy cars. So if your personal car is in the garage for repair, we'll cover the excess for the courtesy car your insurer provides. We can't currently cover schemes such as easyCar Club where there is no rental agreement in place.

Not sure which rental car insurance you need? We like to keep things simple so the table below shows the options available on each policy:
  Single Trip Annual Europe Annual Worldwide Annual Worldwide Plus CDW & SLI
£6,500 of excess protection

Damage to windows, tyres, roof and undercarriage
Key cover up to £2,000
UK Car Club rentals
Courtesy cars
Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI) up to $1 million      
Collison Damage Waiver (CDW) up to $125,000      

Car Hire Excess Insurance Claims

Claiming is easy, you'll be assisted by an expert claims handling service provided by AIG. All you need to do is:

1. Log in to your existing client area and access our online claims portal.
2. Submit your claim with the supporting information.
3. Payment will be sent to your chosen bank account.
If there’s an issue or you have a question, simply call the team for assistance on 0344 892 1770.

Claiming for CDW and SLI?

Show the rental company a copy of your insurance4carhire car hire excess insurance policy and they can contact the claims team on your behalf. That way the rental company can claim the money from the insurer and you won’t be left out of pocket.

Car Hire Excess Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from Towergate Insurance:



Which Classic Car to Invest in 2018

Thinking of investing in a classic car? When faced with some different options, making the right one can seem daunting. Read our breakdown of these important factors and help yourself make an informed decision, on both current and future classic motors.

Classic Car Driving Routes


Towergate's Top 10 UK Scenic Driving Routes

As part of Towergate’s Great British Summer guide, we’ve enlisted the help of our friends at Footman James to compile a list of the best driving routes in the UK. So classic car or not, we can all make the most of our trips away this summer.

Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs

How long can I hire a car for?

On our annual car hire excess insurance policies, you can hire a car as many times as you like in the 12 month period of your policy, providing you don’t exceed 60 continuous days per rental.

Do I need to be a UK resident to purchase your car hire excess insurance?

No, as long as you’re a resident of the UK, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, Republic of Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Sweden or Germany you can purchase a policy with us.

Is cover provided if I lose my keys?

Yes. Cover is provided up to £500 per claim and up to £2,000 per year.

Am I covered if I accidentally miss fuel my vehicle?

Yes, these things happen – we can cover you up to £500 per claim and up to £2,000 per year.

Are there any countries not covered?

Some U.N. sanctioned nations are not covered such as Afghanistan, Belarus, Cuba, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Myanmar, Sudan and Zimbabwe. A full list is available from the GOV.UK sanctions, embargoes and restrictions page.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.