Church and Religious Building Insurance

Insurance for religious buildings (such as churches, mosques, synagogues) and their contents.

  • Up to £10m in public and employers' liability, trustees' and publishers’ indemnity and other optional faith covers.
  • Church liability cover
  • Call us on 02920 444 555
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Shelf of prayer candle votives in a church with a view of pews, church pillars and windows
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose church and religious buildings insurance with Towergate?

Two tower blocks

Religious buildings insurance

Insurance for religious buildings and their contents, as well as personal effects.


Church liability cover

Up to £10m in public and employers' church liability insurance.


Church indemnity insurance

Trustees' and publishers’ indemnity cover, including legal expenses.


Optional faith covers

Cover for items used off premises, personal accident, pastoral work and more.

About church and religious building insurance


Religious building and contents cover

Whether it be a church, temple, mosque, synagogue or gurdwara, we provide customised insurance for buildings to suit the unique needs of the religious institution. This includes contents cover for expensive items used for everyday or worshipful purposes, as well as members’ and visitors’ personal effects. Please check your church insurance policy to see what T&Cs may apply.

Money bag being held by one hand with another holding the neck of the top

Public and employers' liability for churches

We can provide cover of up to £10 million in respect of accidental injury to members of the public, as well as injury to your church volunteers. This includes accidental loss or damage to material property happening during the course of service and/or the daily running of the religious institution. We also offer employers' liability for church employees and volunteers.

Two hands with wrists close together palms open with a house between them

Trustees' indemnity insurance

Our mobile catering policy covers you for damages and potentially expensive legal costs resulting from injury, disease, or accidental damage. We offer public, product and employers' liability insurance for up to £10 million each, allowing you to cater for the largest of events - such as music festivals - which comes with complementary cover for loss of stock and money.

Flexibility (1)

Publishers' indemnity insurance

Publishers' indemnity protects you from the potential risk of libel, slander, infringement of trademark, etc. arising from your official religious publications. This can include your digital media, such as online brochures. Publishers’ indemnity insurance provides cover for the cost of legal action taken against the church, including defence and court fees.


Specialist insurance rates for car club member

We give specialist rates if you are a member of a Footman James approved classic car club. These can be applied both online and over the phone. You can also get discount if you limit the mileage on your cherished car insurance policy. Mileage options available are between 1,000 and 10,000 miles.


Additional cover



Personal accident cover.

For employees and volunteers of the religious institution.


Legal expenses cover

For employment disputes within the church.


Church childcare cover

For schools and nurseries managed by the religious institution.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 02920 444 555 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!

Church and religious buildings insurance FAQs

Church or faith insurance protects your religious institution from physical damage (e.g. building damage as a result of natural disaster or vandalism) or theft. It can also protect you from third party and employee claims of negligence, as well as accusations of publisher slander, infringement of trademark, etc. Other covers can be added to your policy, such as personal accident, legal expenses, pastoral work, and childcare cover.

As a beacon of morality, it is even more imperative for religious institutions to protect themselves from legal and reputational harm. If a claim is brought against you, or the building itself is damaged, the church (as a not-for-profit organisation) may struggle to pay for the costs associated with it. In these cases, the church insurance policy will pay out for damaged incurred, subject to certain exclusions. Please note that other terms and conditions may also apply.

Public liability insurance provides cover against your legal liability to pay damages arising if ever a visitor to your religious premises is injured on site, or if one of your employees injures or causes damage to a third party whilst working for you.

As every profession is open to different risks, and claims are unforeseeable events, it is not possible to recommend an exact level of cover. However, our best advice is to select the highest amount of cover you can reasonably afford. While there may be some flexibility in your church insurance policy, we would suggest a minimum of £5 million in respect of public liability.

Whether it be through fire, natural disaster, malicious damage or theft, your religious premises and its contents are covered. Terms and conditions apply, so be sure to review your policy and its indemnity limits.

Yes, for the most part. Whether it be a church, temple, mosque, synagogue or gurdwara, we provide customised insurance for buildings to suit the unique needs of the religious institution. However, in very unusual circumstances, certain exclusions may apply.

Yes, the definition of an employee includes both paid and unpaid members of staff. Hence, full cover is extended to volunteers in all relevant sections of your policy.

Yes. You are covered for a wrongful act committed in the capacity of a trustee director or officer.

If you would like to spread the cost of your church and religious buildings insurance policy, we offer the option to set up a direct debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our regulatory information.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to your insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Read more FAQs

Church and religious building insurance articles and guides

Commercial Property: The Rebuild Cost

This article will look at calculating the rebuild cost of commercial property for homeowners and landlords looking for property insurance.

Read more

What is Commercial Landlord Insurance?

Find out exactly what commercial landlord insurance is and why it's vital cover for anyone renting out to a third-party business in our useful video.

Read more