Guide to Photography Insurance

Why do you need photography insurance, what does a photography insurance policy typically include and what are some common exclusions? Read our guide to find out more about photography insurance.

What is photography insurance?

Photography insurance is designed to cover your equipment from a range of risks, including theft. Photography equipment is often hugely expensive, and may even be the key to your livelihood so ensuring that it is protected is very important. Photography insurance can also include a range of important business covers for professional photographers to keep you and your business safe.

Whether you are a professional photographer, run a large multimedia business, or you simply enjoy taking photographs when you’re out and about, photography insurance can help to provide protection. It is typically possible to choose different cover types to suit your needs, so whether you have one camera or a whole range of photography equipment you’ll find a policy to suit you.

Cover can be provided for camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment, tripods and other accessories, together with computer equipment such as laptops, editing suites and external hard drives.

Do I need photography insurance?

Photography insurance may not be a legal requirement, unless you are a professional and require statutory cover such as employers' liability and public liability. This type of protection can help to protect you and your business against claims regarding damage to a person or property through your negligence or injuries caused to those working under your direction or control.

Professional indemnity would also be included in a professional policy and is designed to protect you against claims of professional negligence and can cover for the potential costs of reshoots, the reinstatement of lost data and the business interruption you could face in the event of losing your equipment.

As an amateur the cost of replacing equipment alone can be hugely expensive. Photography insurance can help to protect you in this instance and will also give you greater peace of mind when using your equipment in the UK or abroad.

What level of photography insurance do I need?

Amateur photography insurance is designed to protect your photography and video equipment. It is designed for hobby photographers who do not make any income from photography as the policy does not include public liability cover.

Professional photography insurance covers your business as well as the equipment. This includes, business interruption cover, employers’ liability, damage resulting in reshoot costs and portfolio cover. This type of cover is typically suited to a professional photographer, multimedia business or freelancer such as camera operators, grips and other trades in the film industry.

If you are unsure which level of cover would suit you best it is worth speaking to a specialist adviser.

Things to consider when selecting a photography insurance policy

There are a number of factors you will need to consider when it comes to choosing the right level of photography insurance cover for you.

It is important to consider the nature of your work when choosing your photography insurance policy. As a professional photographer, you are likely to need cover for business interruption and potentially employers' liability, as well as cover for any damage to your work.

If you are not full-time in the industry but still engage in some paid photography work then public liability and professional indemnity could be crucial. As an amateur photographer, you may simply want to ensure that your equipment is covered. It is important that you take into consideration the nature and value of your work.

Potential photography insurance exclusions explained

Photography insurance will not typically cover wear and tear to equipment or mechanical and electrical breakdown. There could be exclusions for working in hazardous locations or for foreign travel in accordance with FCO guidelines, dependent on the nature of your work. As with any insurance policy consult your policy wording for the exclusions, or better still chat through your requirements with our specialist advisors to ensure you are covered for the risks that are important to you.

Photography insurance from Towergate

Photography insurance can range from protecting your favourite camera, to covering your business and livelihood. Towergate Camerasure can provide cover to suit your needs. For more information, visit our dedicated photography insurance page or call us on 01489 770340 to speak to a specialist adviser.

This is a marketing article by Towergate Insurance.

Read more industry articles

Food Photography

The Art of Food Photography

Instagram's favourite food captured by a professional food photographer and a social media-loving foodie. How do their styling and techniques differ?

View article