Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Landlord Contents Insurance

Specialist cover for your commercial property furniture, fixtures and fittings.

  • Specialist landlord contents cover as a standalone product or with your buildings insurance
  • We can offer cover suitable for both single properties and a portfolio
  • Accidental damage cover as standard

Get a landlord contents cover quote online:

Compare quotes error retrieving broker login link

Call us to speak to a landlord contents insurance adviser:

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Features of our Landlord Contents Insurance

Accidental and malicious damage cover for contents

Our landlord contents insurance includes accidental damage cover as standard, and can also be extended to include malicious damage. Legal cover can also be included in your policy, for covering higher risk contents.

Flexible contents valuation for your needs

We can offer flexible contents valuations, tailored for your requirements, with no fixed values. This means you can choose the level of cover to meet your needs, whatever the value of the contents of your properties.

Property owners' contents liability cover

Property owners' liability insurance can be included as part of our contents insurance offering. This covers you for damage done by contents to a third party (e.g. tenants), from accidents such as furniture falling over or water tanks bursting. It is available as standard or at no additional cost (depending on your policy).

Loss of rent cover

You can claim for loss of rent if your building is uninhabitable due to damage or an accident to contents.

Landlord Contents Insurance Claims

Need to make a claim?

Call us or email us with: your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

0344 892 1384

If and when it comes to the crunch and you need to make a claim, we'll send the details of your claim to the insurer to get your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

If there are any complications with your claim, we’ll follow this up with the insurer and keep you updated with the progress of your claim.

Landlord Contents Insurance Articles & Guides

Read our commercial property articles and guides:

How To Rent Good Egg Small


Character Reference Template for Landlords

It’s common practice for landlords to request character references from potential tenants. Read our tips and download our template letter to help you know what to write.

Landlord Insruance Common Features Thumb


Common Features Of Landlords Insurance

What is landlord insurance and how does it differ from standard property insurance? We look at this question and more in our helpful guide to landlord insurance. Watch the video to find out more…

Landlord Tax


A Landlord’s Guide to Paying Tax on Rental Income

How much tax you pay on your rental income depends primarily on how much profit you make and what your employment status is. In this guide to landlord tax, we will discuss how to calculate your rental income, how to declare it to HMRC, and provide more tax advice for landlords.

Landlord Contents Insurance FAQs

Does landlord contents insurance cover me for loss of keys?

Yes, we can cover accidental loss of keys or where there is reasonable evidence that the keys have been copied by an unauthorised person, and also the replacement of locks and damage from an emergency access. Say your tenants vacate your property and keep a set of keys, or whilst unoccupied you lose the master set. Replacing the locks and keys, or worse, having to break in due to an emergency while you have lost your keys, can cost a considerable amount. We can offer peace of mind knowing these easy accidents can be covered by your landlord contents insurance.

I’ve been told Towergate offer the cheapest landlord insurance, but my online quote is not the cheapest. Why is this?

At Towergate, we take pride in understanding our customers' needs and finding them a policy to suit these needs. Sometimes this means that your policy may not be the cheapest on the market, but bear in mind that sometimes the least expensive policies don't include features that you may need. If you're unhappy with your online quote, speak to an adviser - we may be able to help.

How does having a different type of tenant such as DSS or students affect my policy?

We can provide cover for a wide range of tenant types. So, if for example, that student party gets a bit out of hand and a window gets accidentally broken, you’ll be covered under the accidental damage section of your policy (if you’ve asked for that to be included in your policy).

If my tenant(s) trashes my property can I claim?

We can provide cover for malicious damage. This doesn’t necessarily come as standard on all policies from our panel of insurers so make sure you ask us for it when you call us or get a quote online.

With malicious damage cover in place, if a tenant damages your contents, you’ll be able to claim and we’ll do our best to recover the cost of the damage caused. So if a tenant spray paints your walls or slashes your sofas, we’ll sort it for you.

Cover is limited to the sums insured (up to £10,000) and does not apply when your property is unoccupied.

How do I calculate my sums insured?

Many of our customers often assume the rebuild price is the same as the market value. This however is not the most accurate way to understand the costs because this value does not include the demolition and debris removal of the previous property, or the architects, materials or labour costs to re-build. Not forgetting, many insurers will charge a penalty, for underinsuring a property so it’s very important this is correct.

Sums insured also relate to the valuation given to your insurer for your contents. It is important that is as as accurate as possible, as if the value given to us is underestimated any claims could be proportionally reduced by the insurers.

We advise all our customers to use a rebuild calculator or professional service to get the best landlord insurance cover for their property, and to get an accurate full valuation of the contents cover they require.

Can you offer landlord contents insurance for multiple properties?

Yes, we specialise in finding insurance policies for landlords with multiple properties. In fact if you have between 1 and 50 properties we can often find you discounts on the policies and the administration fees.

We can also include any new policies pro-rata, meaning you can keep the same renewal date for all your properties.

I’ve been a landlord for a number of years and I’ve never had to claim. Will this reduce my premium?

Absolutely. We really value experienced landlords and know that when you’ve been at it for a while, you tend to be lower risk. With that in mind, we reward careful and experienced landlords with reduced rates.

Can I pay in instalments?

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.