Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Multi Property Landlord Insurance

We can help you protect commercial and residential properties with tailored property portfolio insurance.

  • Add properties at any time and still keep one renewal date for your whole portfolio
  • Optional cover from Towergate Assist or Virtual Assist for larger claims
  • Ask our advisers about extended loss of rent cover

If you have less than four properties, get a multi property landlord insurance quote online

Compare quotes error retrieving broker login link

For four or more properties, please call our landlord insurance team to discuss your needs and tailor a policy

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What does landlord portfolio insurance cover?

Loss of rent

If one of your properties were to become uninhabitable due to fire, flood or another insured peril, it could take time to complete the repairs. The rent you receive from your tenant(s) could also cease due to the incident. You can choose a policy that includes loss of rent for these circumstances, with a tailored indemnity period of up to three years from the date when the loss occurred. Many policies can also cover the costs of alternative accommodation for your tenants, this cover applies whilst the property is uninhabitable following an insured damage claim.

Property owner's liability insurance

If you have a portfolio of properties, you may need to directly employ staff to help you with building maintenance. If that’s the case, you’re required by law to have employer’s liability insurance in place. You should also consider taking out property owners liability insurance. It will protect you against negligence claims for accidental bodily injury or damage to third party or their property.

Rebuild costs

No matter who you purchase your insurance from, your provider will ask for the cost of rebuilding your property - the building sum insured. This is different from the building’s market value and specifically refers to the overall sum of money needed to reconstruct and restore your property should it become completely destroyed. It’s important you get this cost right – it has to be adequate as could directly impact how much you will receive from your insurer should you make a claim. Remember to add VAT costs if you’re not VAT registered.

Towergate Assist & Virtual Assist Loss Recovery

We understand that being able to fix a problem quickly in a claims scenario may save you money and enable you to keep your tenants happy. If you suffer a property damage (not resulting from subsidence or liability claims), where the claim exceeds £5000, this service will provide you with a dedicated loss adjuster within 24 hours to advise and assist you in organising alternative accommodation, engaging specialist assistance from surveyors, valuation providers and builders as required. Towergate also offers Virtual Assist telephone-based service. It includes the same benefits except your claim will be assessed over the phone. Please advise us if you would like to add this to your policy.

Multi Property Landlord Insurance Claims

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and help get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

Generally, claims are ultimately settled by the insurer who administrates your policy. However, we will always be here to answer any questions you may have and help explain anything you may find to be complicated.

All you need to do to is email us with: your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

Need to make a claim?

0344 892 1384

The claims team are available Mon - Thu 8:30am - 6.00pm, Fri - 8:30am - 5.30pm

Multi Property Landlord Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from our commercial property insurance hub:

Energy efficiency


How to Apply for Government Energy Grants and Improve Your Energy Efficiency

Landlords need to be ready for new legislative changes coming in 2018, which means thinking of ways to improve the energy efficiency of your properties. This article examines ways to ensure your properties meet the new minimum EPC rating and lists the energy grants that might be applicable to you.

How To Rent Good Egg Small


Character Reference Template for Landlords

It’s common practice for landlords to request character references from potential tenants. Read our tips and download our template letter to help you know what to write.

Multi Property Landlord Insurance FAQs

Is terrorism insurance included?

This cover is optional and available for commercial and residential buildings alike. It protects your property should the building and/or its contents suffer direct damage through an act of terrorism. If you have added terrorism cover to your property portfolio landlord insurance, then this will also extend the loss of rent section to include losses arising from terrorist activities.

If you rent your property to a business such as an office or shop, they should purchase their own business insurance and also consider taking out business interruption cover.

How is the rebuilding value calculated?

The rebuilding value should include provision for the costs of: demolition and removal of debris, rebuilding materials and labour costs as well as architects, surveyors and legal fees. As a property owner you also need to take into account your VAT status. If you are not registered for VAT, then you should include VAT in your sums insured.

What is a standard indemnity period on loss of rent cover?

The indemnity period is the length of time it will take for your property to be fully reinstated and habitable, starting from the date the loss occurred, not from the date when it was reported. Many policies will cover for a period of 12 months after the date of the loss, but there is no standard limit. Therefore, while deciding on the length of the indemnity period you require, make sure you take into account all your circumstances as they will affect the amount of time it will take to rebuild your property. This in turn will depend on a number of factors such as: the property age, type of construction, if it is a listed building or not, its location and whether it has any special design features.

Towergate commercial and residential clients can benefit from indemnity periods of up to 36 months but other ones can be considered upon request.

You may wish to seek guidance from your legal adviser as many leases do contain Insurance Clauses and specify the period for which loss of rent should be obtained as a minimum.

How can I save on insuring my property portfolio?

The more properties you put on one policy, the better value for money you get for insuring each one of them. Towergate enables you to cover different property types (commercial, residential or mix) under one policy. Just beware that some insurance aspects may be limited to a specific property type.

Speak with one of our advisers if you have any questions about placing a mix of properties under one policy. We may also be able to offer you more tailored policy over the phone, especially if your portfolio includes four or more buildings.

Can I pay in instalments?

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.