Theatre Insurance

Professional cover for theatres, production companies, workshops, drama groups, and performance arts organisations.

  • Choose from optional levels of theatre liability cover, cancellation cover and theatre contents insurance.
  • Discounts available
  • Professional theatre insurance underwriters 

Call us on 0116 240 7915 or get a quote online.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
View from near the edge of the stage of old three storied theatre and chandelier
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose theatre insurance with Towergate?

Two tower blocks

Flexible theatre cover

Insurance for theatres, production companies, workshops, and performance arts organisations.

Circle with a pound sign in the center and rays around it

Discounts available

Additional discounts and exclusivity for The Little Theatre Guild members.

Paper with lines and ring binder along top

Professional theatre insurance underwriters

Underwritten by insurers such as Hiscox, Zurich, Aviva, Allianz and Ecclesiastical.

Direct Debit icon

Pay by Direct Debit

Choose to spread your payment into 10 monthly Direct Debit instalments.

About theatre insurance

Accidental Damage

Theatre contents insurance

Your property, equipment, set, and stage are key to a great performance. That’s why we include many types of protection for things like technical equipment, lights and rigs, musical instruments, props, sets and costumes. So, whether it’s for theft or an accidental breakage, you can pick and choose the cover you need.


Theatre liability insurance

Your performers, staff and guests are the life and soul of your theatre. So, our theatre policies include optional levels of public and employer’s liability insurance for their protection. Our business interruption cover can provide a payout if an incident means you have to stop trading. We even offer our customers a free online risk management service that provides document templates, online training, and regulatory updates.


Cancellation and non-appearance insurance

No one ever wants to cancel a performance - not after all the work that’s gone in and with expecting guests queuing round the street. We have specialist cancellation protection to cover you if the show really can’t go on. So, in the event of an insured peril (such as a delayed flight for the performers, or a fire in the building), we can pay out to cover the loss of income and reputation.

Three head and shoulders, one in front, two behind

Drama groups insurance

If you have a theatre or drama group, you may want to have specific insurance for them, as well as for your business. Our liability package covers you to hold rehearsals and performances on your premises but we can also include optional travel insurance specifically for performance groups too. This includes medical expenses, cancellation, equipment and personal belongings cover - it is priced based on how much you travel.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0116 240 7915 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Theatre insurance FAQs

Towergate sources specialist business insurance policies for theatres to cover the risks that these venues face. As one of the UK’s largest independently owned insurance brokers we use our enormous buying power to give you access to a competitive panel of leading insurers. This keeps the quality of your cover high and your premiums competitive.

Our team of experts have many years experience in the theatre business and understand the risk factors specific to this unique environment. We protect many members of the Little Theatre Guild, so you can rely on us to identify and manage the exposures you face with a tailored policy specific to your requirements. 

We’ll help you minimise the effects of those unforeseen circumstances that could dramatically affect your day-to-day income and just as importantly, your reputation. 

Theatre Safe is our free service designed to help small to medium sized theatres and companies navigate the world of risk and risk management. It includes template documents to help assess and manage the risks you face as a business, plus online training, and regular updates to changes and developments in this area.

We are well positioned in the insurance market to source the best cover for things like pyrotechnics and aerial displays. Due to the higher risk involved, it does shorten the list of possible policies available, but we will be sure to provide the best available option we can find.

The short answer is yes. Anyone working on behalf of your company either paid (full time or part time), interns, volunteers, contractors and, in some cases, performers, can be classed as employees. It is therefore your legal responsibility to make sure you have adequate cover in place for their protection.

Yes, we can provide the correct cover for private or public events and even open-air events and those away from the theatre itself. Simply make us aware of your requirements when you speak with one of our advisers.

Absolutely. Not only do we have a long history in providing specialist insurance to niche industries, but Kenny Robinson, an Account Executive in our theatre insurance department, has 36 years’ experience in the theatre as a performer, designer, director and choreographer (with BA Drama from Wits University).

For the last 15 years he has been heavily involved with the Little Theatre Guild central region members as a performer/director and served on the committee of The Loft Theatre in Leamington Spa as Artistic and Technical Director. If Kenny is happy with a policy in this area, this is when we know it’s ready to be sold!

To help you spread the cost of your theatre insurance premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Yes, we offer insurance for amateur theatres as well as professional ones.

Our amateur and professional theatre insurance can cover:

  • Theft cover without the need of forcible and violent entry
  • Fidelity Guarantee (cover for employee dishonesty)
  • Agreed value cover for fine art and exhibits
  • Goods in transit cover including touring exhibitions
  • Business interruption extensions for bomb hoaxes, loss of licence, failure of lighting , loss of attraction, food poisoning
  • Cancellation cover
  • Charity trustees indemnity
  • Cover for non-standard risks including Grade 1 and 2 listed buildings         
Read more FAQs

Read theatre insurance articles

Business Insurance Checklist

Get the best business insurance. Our checklist will help you understand what makes the best business insurance and what you can do to be best protected.

Read more

Are you ready to scale up your business?

When your company is thriving, you may consider scaling up. This article looks at key considerations to take into account when scaling up your business.

Read more

Managing the growth of a small business

Ruth badger gives her expert advice for micro businesses for managing their growth and increasing profits.

Read more

Business Insurance Jargon Buster - the ins and outs of insurance

Use our simple jargon buster to find out what various business insurance phrases and terms mean.

Read more