Types of motorboat we insure

As part of our motorboat insurance video series we look at the different types of motorboat to help you decide what you have and how you need to insure it. Check out the video to find out more...


Video transcript

Hi, my names Ben Leach and I’m an advisor for Towergate. In this video I’m going to talk about the types of motorboat insurance

Our motorboat insurance policy covers a multitude of types of craft. But motorboat is just one overarching term when in fact, we can provide a policy that’s specific to different types of motorboat.

I’m going to take you through what we mean by each of the types of craft so that when you need to take out insurance, we’re all talking the same language and you get a policy which is right for you.

Sports boat – These tend to be hugely powerful (200bhp engines and above) with long but narrow hulls. Like a sports car, these boats are often two seaters with a helm which also looks similar to the inside of a sports coupe.

Ski boats – Generally these are used for, you guessed it, water skiing and wakeboarding. The hulls of these boats are designed to create wake and are normally quite powerful in order to tow people behind them. They’re also sometimes modified to hold extra boards or skis.

Sports cruisers – These are similar to sports boats however, they tend to be larger, able to carry more people and designed more for comfort than out and out speed.

Fast fisher – These are set apart from your average fishing boat due mostly to their power. They normally have a large outboard motor and a central cuddy.

River cruisers -  These are sometimes called gin palaces and are essentially small, powered yachts. Think Henley, on a sunny afternoon, trundling along at a few knots with enjoying the scenery. I must stress that while Towergate can insure a number of types of motorboat, we cannot insure anything with a top speed over 55 knots.

For more information, visit our website or give us a call.

Want to find out more about our RIB Insurance?

More details