Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Car Insurance

Car insurance for drivers of all ages and driving experience

  • Caters for a wide range of cars and drivers
  • Multiple drivers can be added on one policy
  • Policies available from industry-leading companies Aviva, Ageas, Liverpool Victoria and AXA

Get a quote and and buy car insurance online from our partner Autonet:

Get a quote error retrieving broker login link

Call for a car insurance quote today:

0330 343 8775
0330 343 8775

Weekdays 9am - 5pm

Features of Autonet’s car insurance

Flexible car cover

Autonet offer two levels of car insurance: (1) Third-party fire and theft – cover to a third party for injury and damage if your car is in an accident, and cover for your own vehicle as a result of fire or if it is stolen; (2) Comprehensive – also includes accidental damage to your car in an accident.

Instant car insurance

Instant car insurance is available from Autonet’s online quote-and-buy facility or over the phone. Correspondence can be sent electronically or via the post, including full policy wording with key facts, schedule and car insurance certificate.

Discount and no-claims bonus available

Additional offers for car insurance, subject to terms and conditions, include discounts on insurance policies and a mirrored no-claims bonus.

Experienced advisors available

Autonet work closely with some of the biggest names in the insurance industry to provide you with car insurance quotes. Experienced advisers at Autonet are on hand to answer all your questions regarding your cover.

Car Insurance Claims

What should I do if I have an accident?

Firstly ensure you obtain the name and address of any people involved, including passenger names. Make sure you report any claim, accident, theft or loss as soon as possible to the claims team at your insurer. Please also send any writ, summons or letters received in connection with any claim, accident or loss as soon as you receive them to help us keep your claim moving.

If you receive any notice of prosecution, inquest or fatal accident inquiry connected to the incident, get in touch with the claims team as soon as possible.

Lastly, we advise you to report the vehicle's theft or use without your consent immediately to the police and obtain a crime reference number.

Need to make a claim?

If you or your vehicle are involved in an incident (such as an accident, theft or fire) covered by your policy please call our 24-hour freephone helpline:

0800 9 537 537

Car Insurance Articles & Guides

Read our car insurance guides and articles:

Classic Car Driving Routes


Towergate's Top 10 UK Scenic Driving Routes

As part of Towergate’s Great British Summer guide, we’ve enlisted the help of our friends at Footman James to compile a list of the best driving routes in the UK. So classic car or not, we can all make the most of our trips away this summer.

Passing Driving Test


Tips for Passing Your Driving Test

Being faced with a driving test can be quite daunting for a young learner driver, especially for those of you who have had little experience with this kind of pressure. Here are our ten top tips for passing your driving test, to help you to stay focused and, just as importantly, keep your cool.

How To Be A Good Driver


A Guide to being a Good Driver

Any driver, young or old, will tell you that driving well comes with practice and no matter how long you've been driving for, there is always something new to learn.

Driving On Country Road


Top Tips for Driving on Country Roads

Driving on country roads can be daunting for even the most experienced of drivers. Sharp bends, ditches and the possibility of being stuck behind a tractor are all factors that mean it's important to be hyper-aware of your surroundings. Our guide looks at the key things to consider when driving on country roads, whether you're a young, inexperienced driver or simply not used to driving on rural country lanes.

Car Insurance FAQs

What is a no claims bonus (NCB)?

This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months of continuous claim free insurance. NCB can only be earned and used in your own name and on one vehicle at a time. NCB is not acceptable if it expired more than 2 years prior to the inception of your new policy. NCB is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for details of NCB reduction). If you are unsure if your NCB is valid you can call our experienced advisers on 03303 438 629 who will be happy to help and advise you.

What is an insurance excess?

This is the first part of each claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess - this is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft, windscreen claims or malicious damage.

Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your online quotation and it may affect your premium.

Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?

A fault claim is any claim resulting in your own insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your own insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in a claim, for example where a third party hit you, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable.

If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?

Yes, it is always advisable to tell your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9537 537.

What is an immobiliser?

An electronic immobiliser is a device fitted to the vehicle that disables the engine of your vehicle when it is not in operation by you. Some newer vehicles have these factory fitted by the manufacturer and these are normally shown within your vehicle brochure. It is also possible to have these fitted by a garage or specialist, who would supply a certificate of installation detailing the exact model of your vehicle's immobiliser. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.

A manual immobiliser is a device which is usually placed on the steering wheel or gear lever of your vehicle.

There are two types of Thatcham graded immobiliser:

T2 = An immobiliser that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.