Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Care Home Insurance

Designed with care at its core, our care home insurance policy can be tailored to meet the precise needs of your business.

  • Care industry specific cover including medical malpractice cover
  • Business and contents cover with option to include buildings, personal accident, employee dishonesty, and more
  • Speak with our care experts for a detailed requirement review and get the cover that’s right for your business

Start your care home insurance quote online

Request a quote error retrieving quote login link

Or contact us directly for your care home insurance policy

0330 123 5329
0330 123 5329

Weekdays 8.30am – 5.30pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Features of our care home insurance:

Types of care homes we cover

Care homes come in many shapes and cater for different service users. So if you care for the elderly or adults, with learning difficulties, mental health, dementia, or simply offer retirement home or supported living, we can provide specific insurance cover for you business.

Care specific cover

As well as the more standard business insurances the care industry face a set of unique risks which our care policies are designed to cover. These include things like medical malpractice and protection against loss of registration. Our trained advisers are on hand to discuss your risks and cover your care home for all the risks you may face.

£10 million liability cover as standard

While most policies will include public liability cover at £5 million, we know that there are times when you may need a higher limit, which is why we offer £10 million as standard meaning that you have enhanced cover as soon as you take out a policy with us.

HR solutions

As part of our care home insurance policy, we offer you access to a HR portal - Markel Law Hub. With access to fact sheets, legal documents, legal news and an employee handbook specifically designed for the care sector, Markel Law Hub offers guidance and information for any legal issues you may have. Whether you’re looking for advice for a potential problem or just want some facts on a certain topic, with our policy you will have access to this service 24-7 for the duration of your policy, meaning you will always have up to date documents and legislation for your business.

Care Home Insurance Claims

Our in-house care insurance claims handlers are available Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm to support you. Furthermore, if you have a more urgent concern, we offer a 24-hour helpline.

For material damage and business interruption claims of over £5,000 you can count on our Claims Assist team. We will appoint a chartered loss adjuster specialising in the type of loss you have experienced to look after your interests and ensure the entire claims process is handled quickly, fairly and without unnecessary stress.

Need to make a claim?

Call us or email us with:

  • Your policy number
  • A contact number
  • Details of your claim
  • Relevant photos
0330 123 5921

Care Home Insurance Articles & Guides

Read our series of helpful guides to help you choose the most relevant cover for your business:

A Guide To Care Home Insurance

insurance guide

A Guide to Care Home Insurance

A simple guide to care home insurance. We explain the features, exclusions and optional covers that are usually found in this type of business insurance. From public liability and contents insurance to the more specific care industry covers like medical malpractice insurance - find out what you need to make sure your care home insurance is right for you.

Group chatting


Love in a Care Home

The secret to a happy marriage is something that many people would love to know. We've looked at stories of friendship and love in care homes to try and find out how to have a happy partnership.

Care Home Insurance FAQs

Does this care home insurance policy include abuse cover?

Yes. The policy does not exclude abuse and will protect you where you are legally liable for allegations made against you for the likes of sexual, mental and physical attacks on residents.

Can I get any assistance with human resource issues such as contracts of employment, policy and procedures or staff handbooks?

As part of the legal expenses cover, you will receive at no extra cost, a care-specific, online human resources management tool. It will give you access to customisable care-specific documentation including: employment contracts, contracts for bank workers, disciplinary procedures, staff handbook, health and safety guides including legal documents and up-to-the minute changes in legislation.

Will legal advice be offered by trained solicitors or barristers, with experience within the care sector?

Yes, all enquiries are handled by a dedicated team specialising in care. Legal advice is only given by qualified solicitors and barristers and the claims team are all qualified with a law degree as a minimum.

What is the Stress Helpline and who can use it?

The Stress Helpline is a 24-hour confidential telephone helpline and is available for you or any employee of your business to use.

What is Claims Assist and how can it help us?

Claims Assist, also known as Towergate Assist, is a claims recovery service for material damages claims over £5,000. You will be appointed a chartered loss adjuster to look after your interests and to ensure the entire process is handled quickly, fairly and without unnecessary stress. Importantly, the loss adjuster will be a specialist in the type of loss experienced and will be appointed to work on your behalf, not the insurers.

Is there anyone in your company to help us with registration issues that we may encounter?

We have an independent registration consultant retained solely by us, who can help our clients with any queries they may have. Our legal helpline can also assist you in keeping your business operational.

Can I pay for my care home insurance in instalments?

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To learn more about how PCL and Towergate work together, please read our regulatory information.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.