Refrigerated Van Insurance

Specialist policies to cover refrigerated vans

  • Cover for vans over 4tn used to transport food or perishable goods
  • Policies from some of the largest companies in the market, including Aviva, AXA, Allianz and RSA
  • UK-based support

Call us on 01603 753 880 or get a quote online.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Green plastic food crates stacked in a van with a roller shutter door, a street view to the left hand side of stone buildings on a wide footpath
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4331 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose refrigerated van insurance with Towergate?


Commercial liability insurance available

Freight and hauliers liability insurance and tradesman insurance


Commercial insurance solutions for refrigerated van businesses

Liability and goods in transit cover is also available for your refrigerated van business


Additional covers available

We can provide additional covers including RAC Breakdown Cover and legal expenses

Direct Debit

Pay for your refrigerated van insurance by Direct Debit

You can split your payment into instalments

About refrigerated van insurance


Refrigerated van insurance that suits your needs

Refrigerated vehicles have been modified to allow the safe carriage of fresh food, frozen food and perishable goods such as flowers. These vehicles will often be valued more than its standard equivalent and will need the correct cover in place. These vehicles may also have a different use not provided by a standard policy due to carriage of other people's goods.


Affordable refrigerated van insurance

In order to continue to provide affordable refrigerated van insurance policies, we have developed outstanding relationships with some of the largest companies in the market, including Aviva, AXA, Allianz and RSA.


Refrigerated van insurance tailored for you

Our panel of insurers means we can compare multiple risks, saving you time and money by avoiding having to ring round individual insurance companies.


Cover for refrigerated vans and more

Besides refrigerated vans, we can also cover refrigerated trucks and lorries, special type vehicles and ice cream vans.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Van insurance FAQs

An electronic immobiliser is a device fitted to the vehicle that disables the engine of your vehicle when it is not in operation by you. Some newer vehicles have these factory fitted by the manufacturer and these are normally shown within your vehicle brochure. It is also possible to have these fitted by a garage or specialist, who would supply a certificate of installation detailing the exact model of your vehicle's immobiliser. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.

A manual immobiliser is a device which is usually placed on the steering wheel or gear lever of your vehicle.

There are two types of Thatcham graded immobiliser:

T2 = An immobiliser that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

This is the first part of each claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess - This is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft, windscreen claims or malicious damage.

Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your online quotation and it may affect your premium.

This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months of continuous claim free insurance. NCB can only be earned and used in your own name and on one vehicle at a time. NCB is not acceptable if it expired more than 2 years prior to the inception of your new policy. NCB is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for details of NCB reduction). If you are unsure if your NCB is valid you can call our experienced advisers on 0344 892 1664 who will be happy to help and advise you.

A fault claim is any claim resulting in your own insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your own insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in a claim, for example where a third party hit you, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable. Please note that the insurer will only treat it as a non-fault claim once their costs have been recouped.

Yes, it is always advisable to tell your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated, even if no claim is to be made. 

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the policy summary and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Yes, there is an option to pay your insurance premium in full by debit or credit card at no extra cost. Or to help you manage the cost of your insurance premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

A variety of payment options are available and the interest transaction charge and annual percentage rate (APR%) vary according to the amount of the premium, the number of monthly instalments and type of premium finance scheme selected. We will give you full details of the additional amount payable, instalment amounts, number of instalments and APR when you ask us for a quotation.

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Read more FAQs

Read van insurance articles

12 Tips to Tackle Vehicle Rental Crime

Doing all you can to keep your rental fleet secure is vital. We've put together 12 tips to help you tackle vehicle rental crime.

Read more

Reduce the Risk: Occupational Road Safety for Your Vehicles

Learn how to create the right occupational road safety culture to ensure your fleet stays on the road - and reduce your transport insurance costs at the same time.

Read more

Vehicle Safety Features to Reduce Your Insurance Costs

Keeping drivers safe and insurance claims down is increasingly vital for transport operators. See how new commercial vehicle safety features can help.

Read more