Solar Panels Insurance

Insuring your solar panels as part of your property Insurance.

About Solar Panels Insurance


Specialist property insurance team

If you have any questions about our policy or if you need to make a change, our friendly customer service team is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm.


Dedicated claims team

Our friendly and helpful claims team are available 5 days a week, 8:30am - 5:30pm


No extra charge on your property cover

We don’t charge extra to insure your solar panels, just make sure they are included in the rebuild cost for the property.

Direct Debit

Spread the cost of property cover

We can offer you the option to pay for the policy via monthly direct debit instalments.

Features of Solar Panels Insurance

Standard cover

Other eco technologies

Nowadays there are many types of eco-friendly techniques and technologies, things like water harvesters, wind turbines, heating systems and even building methods such as straw bales homes. We would love to hear about what you’re using in your home and discuss how we could get you the best home insurance which correctly identifies and protects your investments.

Accidental Damage Cover

Full accidental damage can be included as part of your solar panel insurance, as well as cover for fixed glass, sanitary fixtures and fittings and electrical equipment.

Home Contents Cover

This policy provides contents cover up to £100,000. You must lock all of your doors and windows when you leave the home for this cover to remain valid.

Cover for solar panels in secure grounds and gardens

We won’t always insure panels that are not on the roof, i.e. in the garden. However, for locations with secure grounds we can refer you to our underwriters for consideration.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0345 074 4760 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim

Solar Panels Insurance FAQs


If I am in lockdown away from my primary home for more than 30 days due to Covid-19, will my standard home insurance still be valid?


If you or your designated are unable to visit your primary home entirely as a result of being elsewhere when the current period of government-enforced self-isolation/lockdown due to COVID-19 began, and you have taken reasonable steps to try to protect the property, the home inspection element of your home insurance policy may be suspended. Please speak to your adviser to confirm.


Do you cover solar panel trackers?


Solar panels come equipped with a tracker. This is a small electric device separate to the panels themselves and is not included in the solar energy insurance policy. This is because generally they need to remain outside but are not easy to secure against theft.


Do you offer home emergency cover?


Yes, you can add cover for home emergencies to your property insurance policy.

  • Three levels of home emergency cover, starting with emergency repairs to the primary heating system at your property
  • Extend to include emergency repairs to your drainage and water services, securing broken windows and doors - and dealing with pest infestations
  • Access to a 24-hour helpline and network of reliable UK tradespeople

Please talk to your Towergate adviser for details.


What if I've had previous claims?


We specialise in providing cover where other insurers can’t. If you've had previous claims, we will still consider your case whether or not you've been rejected by other insurers. This is also handled by our Colchester team and details can be found on our contact page. In all cases, the more information you are able to provide regarding your previous claims, the better.


Can you insure my home if it's a flood risk?


Homes which are at risk of flood are often a little trickier to insure. We have policies which will cater for flood in some of the harder to cover areas and can often refer cases to our insurers to try and find you a policy. You can read more on insurance, provided by our team in Colchester, for flood risk areas here.


I run my business from my home, will this policy cover me?


Running a business from your home often means you have slightly different need to a standard home. See our home business insurance webpage for more details.


What is property owner's liability?


Property owners liability is related to one’s legal responsibility to properly maintain property they own so it is not a danger to others. If a form of negligence connected to the property causes a third party to be injured or their property to be damaged, they may seek compensation from the property owner. Subsequently, it’s important to have insurance in place to cover this, most home insurance policies including our own, include this as standard.


How can I pay for my premium?


You can pay by credit card or monthly direct debit.


Where can I find full details of my policy?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.