Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

RIB Insurance

Cover for Rigid Inflatable Boats, including:

  • Advice from people who know RIBs - our team are undergoing RYA training
  • Cover for when your boat is laid up, in transit and whilst you’re on the water
  • Support from quote to claim

Start your RIB insurance quote online

Get a quote

Or speak to our friendly UK based marine team

0344 892 1987
0344 892 1987

Weekdays 9am - 5pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Feefo logo



Features of our RIB insurance

Accidental damage and underwater objects

Objects lurking under the water’s surface are easily missed. Cover on our Gold and Platinum policies insures damage caused by underwater objects to machinery and hull too. Other accidental collisions are covered too but you are not able to claim for mechanical breakdown of your RIB’s electrical components. You can avoid major damage from wear and tear or mechanical breakdown by fixing smaller problems before they get worse.

Personal accident cover

This feature sets our platinum cover apart from our other policies as it is included within the cover as standard. If you or your passengers were to suffer an injury as a result of a day out on your RIB, the policy would ensure you have cover for up to £500 of emergency medical expenses as well as providing compensation if you suffer severe injuries which leave you unable to work. If you would like to include this cover on a Silver or Gold policy you can do so for an additional £5. Cover does not apply for anyone 76 years of age or over at the time of the accident.

Cover your trailer and RIB from theft

You can insure your inflatable dinghy and your trailer on our Gold and Platinum policies, so if something should happen while you’re travelling from A-B, your policy cover will still apply. You must insure the value of your trailer as well as your RIB if you want to take advantage of this cover. As you can imagine a RIB on the back of a trailer is quite desirable for thieves so we ask that if your RIB is ever left unattended whilst in transit that a wheel clamp or a hitch lock should be fixed. This insurance does not include scratches, dents and bruising while the RIB is in transit so be a little careful.

Public liability and water skier’s liability

We insure £3 million of public liability on all of our four policies insuring your liability to other people and property around you. Not only that but we have an additional liability cover available for towing of water toys and water skiers. You can add the extension to tow up to two people at any one time but we will not cover banana boats or air chairs. It is also worth noting that liability on water skiers is only available up to £1 million.

We like to make it easy for you to choose the right policy for your boat.

Compare our levels of cover in a glance using this handy table.
Third party
Fire, lightning, explosion  
Theft, malicious damage or vandalism  
Weather events  
Freezing of machinery  
Accidental loss or damage    
Personal accident      

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

RIB Insurance Claims

Get started by downloading the RIB claims form.

Photographs of damage to your RIB help us to move your claim along quicker and get you back on the water so make sure you take a few to pass on to us.

Simply email us or call us on:

0330 018 2292

RIB Insurance Articles & Guides

Get tips and advice from our industry experts to ensure you get the best out of your inflatable dinghy insurance:

01 RIBEYE along a rugged coast line


RIB Buyer's Guide

This buyer's guide provides useful tips on buying a rigid inflatable boat (RIB), and how to make sure you buy the best boat for you.

View article
Boat Gadgets


Boating gadget guide

Towergate have enlisted the help of the readers and forum members in order to put together the definitive guide to the must have boating gadgets.


Essential Safety Devices for RIBS

We don’t need to tell you twice that safety on the water is the most important part of boating. No matter how experienced you are it’s important to have the correct safety kit on board should a freak accident happen out of the blue.

RIB or SIB 1


RIB or SIB - which boat is better for you?

The rigid inflatable boat (RIB) is an incredibly popular choice of power boat due to its versatility, speed and ability to cope with challenging conditions. However, many people incorrectly refer to all inflatable boats as RIBs, not knowing that some of these RIBs are in fact soft inflatable boats (SIBs). This means that they do not have a hard hull, so are easy to deflate and store, and also tend to be far more affordable than RIBs.

RIB Insurance FAQs

What happens if I cannot visit my boat during the Covid-19 pandemic?

We understand that due to the Covid-19 outbreak you may be unable to visit your boat. Read our FAQs for this situation.

What should I do if my inflatable boat is out of commission for some of the year?

We only offer 12 month insurance policies but the benefit of this is you policy cover will still apply when your RIB is laid up. If your circumstances change RIB is laid up for part of the year you can let us know the details and we can adjust your policy accordingly where necessary.

My policy says I'm covered to use my RIB in UK coastal waters. How far offshore can I go?

You are covered up to 12 miles offshore. If you are travelling between two points on the mainland you can be more than 12 miles offshore but if you’re unsure it’s worth checking with our marine team to ensure you’re still covered.

Can you cover my RIB for racing?

If you are looking to race with your RIB you should let us know some details of where you would like to compete and what kind of race it will be. Due to the increased risk associated with racing RIBs, our underwriters like a little more detail and will assess on case by case basis.

Can I cover my tube for punctures?

Yes, our Silver, Gold and Platinum policies give varying levels of cover for punctured tubes. It will depend on which cover you have as to what you can claim for. E.g. Silver cover includes damage by storm but not accidental damage whereas Gold and platinum cover include both accidental and storm damage. You will not be covered for punctures that are caused by wear and tear.

Can I pay for my RIB insurance policy in instalments?

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.