Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Touring Caravan Insurance

Specialists for over 40 years, providing touring caravan insurance to cover you on the road, on site or at home.

  • Build your own insurance cover based on how you use your caravan and only pay for what you need
  • Choice of new for old, or market value cover
  • Accidental damage whilst towing covered as standard

Get a touring caravan insurance quote and buy online

Get a quote

Retrieve your quote >>

Broker portal login >>

Call our specialist team for a touring caravan insurance quote

01242 894 061
01242 894 061

Weekdays 9am – 5pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What does touring caravan insurance cover?

Tailored touring caravan insurance policies

Gone are the days of a one size fits all approach towards touring caravan insurance. We asked our customers what they really wanted from their touring caravan insurance. The answer was clear and simple; the ability to tailor cover, so you only pay for the cover you want based on how you use your touring caravan. If you don’t tow your caravan in Europe outside of the UK, then you can choose not to include European Towing cover. As someone who regularly tows you may wish to opt for No Claims Protection. Choose from our optional cover extras to create a policy that fits with you and your caravan lifestyle.

Accidental damage

Accidents happen to all of us. You may have been caravanning for years but even the most experienced towers make mistakes when parking on a pitch, that’s why we include Accidental Damage whilst towing as standard. You can also extend your Accidental Damage to cover you for mishaps while you’re on site such as damaged awnings. Unfortunately, we can’t cover damage while the caravan is not in use unless it is kept at your home or at a storage address you have told us about.

Core covers as standard

No matter what ‘level’ of cover you choose, it is good to know that certain events are covered as standard and your caravan will be protected. Included as standard will be cover for fire, theft, storm and malicious damage. You’ll be able to choose from new for old or market value cover and we’ll even include up to £1,000 contents, however if you need a little more cover for your contents, just let us know and we’ll add it on.

£100 Standard excess

If you select Excess Protection as one of your optional extras, your excess will be reimbursed. So if you ever have to make a claim of up to £250 a year, you will be able to claim this back.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Touring Caravan Insurance Claims

Simply call using the number below. We will talk you through the details of your claim and advise you of the next steps in the process. We will continue to guide you through from notification through to settlement.

Most importantly, when your claim is settled we will ensure payment by BACS straight in to your bank account.

Need to make a claim?

Give us a call and we’ll help settle your claim

0344 892 1416

Touring Caravan Insurance Articles & Guides

Get tips and advice from our industry experts to ensure you get the best out of your touring caravan insurance.

sandyballs video hero


We Asked 100 Caravanners What They Love About Caravan Holidays

Why do so Brits love caravan holidays? We visited 2016's Great British Park Off second place winner, Sandy Balls Holiday Village in the New Forest to ask them ourselves. Watch the videos for conclusive proof on why caravanning is so great.

Glamping in the UK


Glamping in the UK

Want to know more about glamping? Read our guide and infographic for tips on how to enjoy glamorous camping holidays.

Buying A Second Hand Caravan


Refurbishing a Second-Hand Caravan

Refurbishing a second-hand caravan can be a great way to brighten up a used caravan and can also be a really fun project to take on. Whether you decide to simply spruce up your caravan or go for a full refurbishment this guide offers some useful tips and advice on how to make the most of a second-hand caravan.

Touring Caravan Insurance FAQs

My caravan is stored/sited abroad, and I cannot collect it due to COVID restrictions, is it still insured?

Yes, as long as the storage or site location is stated on your schedule and all the details of your security devices are up to date and in use.

Will my touring caravan policy be still be valid for trips to Europe after Brexit?

Yes, providing you have Extended European Towing cover, we will cover your caravan for accidental damage to your touring caravan whilst you're travelling in Europe.

However, for third-party liability (if you cause damage to someone else's vehicle or property whilst towing), this will be covered under your car insurance policy. Please check with your current car insurance provider about the cover you have.

Can I still store my caravan abroad after Brexit?

If you are a resident of the UK, you can continue to store your caravan abroad, providing you have European cover. You don't need to contact us, unless you are changing your storage location.

What is a Green Card?

Green Cards are an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, which guarantees that the driver has the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for driving for the country in which you're visiting. It is a physical document which is printed on green paper and cannot be issued in an electronic format.

Find out how to prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit.

Will I need a Green Card when I travel to Europe after Brexit?

From 2 August 2021, UK motorists can drive in countries in the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA), which consists of all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries, as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland, without needing a Green Card.

Please note we do not offer Green Cards: you will need to contact your car insurance provider to obtain one.

Do I need an International Driving Permit after Brexit?

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is a document that validates your licence to be able to drive abroad. Please check local driving restrictions before you travel to see if you need this.

Can you provide cover for touring caravans for non-UK residents?

No, unfortunately not.

What should I look for in a touring caravan insurance policy?

You should always look for features which best suit the way you use your caravan. With our touring caravan product, you can build your own policy, based on your caravan lifestyle. We offer cover which includes New for Old or Market Value, cover for storm damage and flooding, theft and accidental damage whilst towing, as standard. We also offer a number of optional additional products options. For example, if you use your caravan regularly, and tow it on public roads then you may like to add a No Claims Protection and Key Cover. If you do travel with your caravan in Europe, then you could choose to include cover such as European Towing. The key is to tell us as much as possible about your caravan and the way you use it - that way we can help you get the right cover for you.

Do I need to pass a test to tow a caravan?

If you passed your driving test after 1st January 1997 on a standard driving license, if your trailer is less than 750kg you can tow with a vehicle that is within the maximum authorized mass (MAM) of 3,500kg, if your trailer is over 750kg the combined trailer and vehicle MAM must be no more than 3,500kg. If in doubt, visit this helpful government site on towing.

Are there any exclusions to touring caravan insurance?

Sadly, our insurance doesn’t cover everything for any amount. The cover provided by the policy and any optional products you choose to take out will have exclusions and limitations. It is important to read your own policy wording and your product summary to ensure that the policy meets your needs.

Can you insure my caravan if it’s permanently sited?

Absolutely. It’s really important to us that you don’t pay for cover you don’t need, so if you rarely tow your caravan or you have it permanently sited then we’ll adjust your price accordingly so you’re not paying for towing cover unnecessarily.

Can I insure my hobby caravan?

No, we cannot currently cover hobby caravans.

My caravan is quite unique - will you be able to cover me?

We’ve seen all sorts of makes, models, designs and modifications over the years. In most cases, you’ll find your caravan make within the drop down menu when you get a quote, but if isn’t there then you’ll need to give us a quick call on 01242 538 431 so we can get a bit more information and confirm whether we can provide cover.

Can I lend my permanently sited touring caravan to friends/family for use?

Yes, as long as you have permission from the site to allow guests to visit or stay there. You may find there are additional restrictions following the pandemic to ensure park safety.

Can I lend my touring caravan to friends and family to go away in?

Only immediate household family members are covered for towing on your standard policy; however, you can get additional ‘Extended Towing’ cover that means anyone with a valid and relevant driving license, and your permission of course, is covered to tow your caravan. It’s simple to add this cover to your policy, either login through our online portal or speak to one of our advisors today.

How will my documents be sent?

When you purchase your caravan insurance policy, we will send you a welcome email with your Policy Schedule, Policy Wording, IPID and our Terms of Business. If you have requested paper versions, these documents will be sent to you in the post. If you purchased your Touring policy after June 2017 or Leisure/Park Home policy after August 2019, you can also view your documents in your online portal. If you are renewing your policy, your documents will be emailed to you in your renewal pack or available in your online portal in the ‘My Account’ section.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal information will be emailed to you before your renewal date. If you purchased Touring policy after June 2017 or Leisure/Park Home policy after August 2019, you can also view your renewal documents and make changes to your policy in your online portal in the ‘My Account’ section which will include details of what is insured and your premium for the next year.

What document do I need to show as proof of insurance?

When you purchase your insurance, we will send your Policy Schedule in your welcome email which you will need to retain as your proof of insurance. If you purchased your Touring policy after June 2017 or Leisure/Park Home policy after August 2019, you can also view your Policy Schedule in your online portal.

Is there a charge to cancel my policy?

Yes – to cancel your Caravan policy there is a £30 cancellation charge.

Are there any other charges to consider when cancelling my policy, other than the £30 cancellation fee?

If you choose to cancel your policy within the first 14 days, you will not be charged and a full refund will be provided, including any additional products you may have selected, as long as no claims have been made. The 14 days begin from the date your policy starts or the date you receive your documents, whichever is the latter.

If you decide to cancel your policy after the first 14 days, you will be charged, by the insurer, for the time you have been on cover and a £30 cancellation fee and our commission will be retained on a pro rata basis. Also, our customer service charge and any additional products are completely non-refundable. However, if a claim has been made, the full premium will be charged.

Our optional additional products include: Excess protection, Homecare Emergency, Legal Protection and Key Protection. Please check your documentation to confirm if you have included these products in your policy

I have included an optional additional product in my policy, am I able to remove this?

Yes, you can remove your optional additional products at any time. However, you will only receive a refund of premium for these covers in the first 14 days. After the first 14 days the optional additional products are non-refundable.

Can I pay in instalments?

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

What type of quote do you need?

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.