Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Truck Breakdown Insurance

Breakdown, rescue and recovery cover for all makes of trucks

  • Truck breakdown cover for vehicles from 3.5-44t, including trailers for articulated vehicles
  • Roadside truck recovery service to repair your vehicle in the event of a breakdown
  • Comprehensive cover 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Find out more about our flexible truck breakdown cover

Get a quote error retrieving broker login link

Or contact us directly for a bespoke truck breakdown cover policy:

0344 892 1434
0344 892 1434

Mon-Fri 8.45am - 5.15pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What does truck breakdown insurance cover?

Truck breakdown rescue service

We have teamed up with RAC to provide you with a truck breakdown rescue service designed specifically for owners and operators of vehicles from 3.5-44t. A dedicated truck breakdown management team are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so you can be confident your breakdown will be handled efficiently.

Comprehensive truck breakdown cover

RAC Truck Rescue offers comprehensive cover for when your truck or HGV breaks down. They will manage the whole process for you, from initial call, through to roadside repair or recovery completion. Cover can be extended to fit your business needs, if you need recovery beyond your standard truck breakdown cover policy limit.

Roadside truck repair

We know that when your truck is out of service, you’re closed for business, so aim to get to you quickly. Our roadside truck breakdown recovery service sees specialist contractors or patrols deployed to you to repair mechanical or electrical faults, minimising vehicle downtime and getting your truck back on the road quickly and safely.

Truck breakdown recovery service

Your cover includes a truck breakdown recovery service. If your truck cannot be fixed at the roadside, it will be recovered to a destination of your choice within a 40, 100 or 200-mile radius of where your truck breaks down (depending on your cover).

Truck Breakdown Insurance Claims

Need to make a claim?

If your truck breaks down, you will need to provide the RAC with the following information:

- Your name or policy number
- Identification such as a bank card or driving licence
- The vehicle’s make, model and registration number
- The exact location of the vehicle (the road you are on or the nearest road junction)
- The number of the phone you are using
- The cause of the breakdown, if you know it
- Your credit card if you need additional services

Call on:

0333 202 1908*

If you fail to make contact within 24 hours of becoming aware of the breakdown, cover may be refused.

The cost of making or receiving telephone calls is not covered. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded.

* Call charges may apply. Please check with your telephone provider. 03 numbers are charged at national call rates and usually included in inclusive minute plans. Text messages will be charged at your standard network rate.

Truck Breakdown Insurance Articles & Guides

Read our useful articles for commercial vehicle operators.



Beware Crash for Cash Scams

Towergate Insurance Motor Division have issued a list of top tips to help drivers avoid being targeted in 'crash for cash' scams. Towergate Insurance has found that staged accidents involving large vehicles are on the increase and are circulating advice to help client companies and their employees recognise the ploys of would-be criminal claimants.

Trucks For Driver Training Small


Guide to CPC Training

If you own or rent a lorry, bus or coach and wish to drive it commercially, it is vital to obtain Driver CPC. Alternatively, you may already have Driver CPC and are coming up to your deadline for renewal – in either case, drivers must undergo training before professionally operating one of these vehicles.

Haulage Truck

insurance guide

Keeping your fleet costs down

To some involved in the road haulage fleet insurance sector, the term ‘risk management’ may still mean little more than claims analysis and driver training. Whilst those can be helpful steps along the path of risk improvement, arguably such measures fail to fully recognise and address some key issues that can have a catastrophic impact on the well-being of not simply truck drivers but various key stakeholders including other road users – and insurers.

Truck Breakdown Insurance FAQs

  • Does your policy cover 44t trucks?

  • Yes, trucks up to 44t gross vehicle weight can be covered.

  • If my truck won’t start one morning, will the RAC come out and get my truck running again?

  • Cover applies to vehicles that are at least one mile away from where the vehicle is normally stored overnight; breakdowns on your own premises are not covered.

  • Can I pay my breakdown premium by instalments?

  • Full details of premium instalment plans will be provided when you get a quote and within in your credit agreement. If this option is available to you please note this will incur an additional cost.

Can I choose where a broken-down truck will be towed to?

  • Cover is provided for recovery to a single destination of your choice, up to the mileage as shown on your schedule if the RAC cannot repair the vehicle at the roadside.

  • If a trailer breaks down, will RAC recover the trailer?

  • If it’s just the trailer that’s broken down, RAC will only attend at the roadside and attempt a repair. No other benefits of the policy are available.

  • Request a callback

    Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.