Driving Instructor Insurance Buyer's Guide

Our guide walks you through the main features of driving instructor insurance and explains how you can keep your premium down with driving instructor insurance discounts. Get the advice to help protect your business.

Driving instructor insurance – features explained

Any driver cover - It is essential for your policy to be issued on an any driver basis; this allows you to teach any licensed driver on the road irrespective of previous driving experience or other risk factors. This also allows the examiner to drive if required, as you will not be able to provide his or her details to your insurer prior to your pupil taking their test.

Replacement dual control vehicle cover - As a business car insurance policy it is important to ensure you get the correct replacement vehicle suitable for your needs. Most standard car insurance products will only offer you a non-dual controlled car in the event of a non-fault incident meaning you’re unable to continue working.

Many specialist driving instructor insurance providers will provide you with a dual controlled vehicle in the event of a claim. You should try to find a provider who will supply you with a guaranteed dual control replacement car within 24 hours to enable you continue teaching and sit any pre-booked driving tests. You should also consider how long you may need this vehicle for many providers will only supply a vehicle for a limited period try to find a provider who offers unlimited cover.

Negligent tuition cover - This cover extends your driving instructor insurance policy to insure you and any driving instructor engaged by you to whom you have provided a vehicle which is insured under your policy, for your/their legal liability to pupils whilst driving instruction is being provided.

Driving off-road driver aged 14+ - Some driving instructor insurance policies provide extended cover to allow you to teach pupils off-road if they are aged 14 or over. This cover is only provided where it can be evidenced that the land you’re using the vehicle on does not form part of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

'Restricted byway' means a way over which the public have restricted byway rights within the meaning of Part II of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, with or without a right to drive animals of any description along the way, but no other rights of way.

Comprehensive driving other cars - If you carry out fleet driver development training you may be required to carry out a demonstration drive in your client’s vehicle. This type of cover is not normally available under a standard private car policy and may not be available under certain driving instructor insurance policies. If you do need to drive other cars, it’s important that you ask for comprehensive driving other cars cover which this will meet your liabilities should you be involved in an incident in your client's vehicle. Cover only applies whilst carrying out the demonstration drive.

Cover for hire and reward - As a driving instructor you will be collecting money for giving lessons whilst carrying your client in the vehicle this requires hire and reward to be included within your policy for the purpose of driving tuition and test. Standard private motor policies will not include this type of cover.

Modified vehicle cover - As a driving instructor you will have a number of additional features added to your vehicle, such as:

  • Dual controls
  • Additional speedo
  • Additional mirrors
  • Sign writing
  • Disabled driving equipment

Most standard car insurance policies will class these as modifications and will therefore not be able to provide cover. It is important to mention these to your insurance provider so that they then can note these on your policy and provide cover suitable for your needs.

What is the difference to standard car insurance?

A standard private motor car insurance policy will cover you for social, domestic and personal use. Some policies also include cover for you to commute to and from a permanent place of work. So, if you drive the car to the same office every day, you will still be insured.

However, as a driving instructor you’ll require business use for the driving test and tuition purposes. It is often more expensive than a standard private motor insurance, but it is extremely important to get the right cover to meet the demands and needs of a driving instructor.

  • Any driver
  • A replacement dual control car
  • Negligent tuition cover
  • Driving off road for drivers aged 14+
  • Comprehensive driving other cars for demonstration drives
  • Cover for the examiner to drive your car
  • Cover for modified vehicle (dual controls, sign written, disabled equipment, dual speedo)

Why does driving instructor cover cost more than car insurance?

Driving instructor car insurance is typically more expensive than standard private motor insurance cover because a driving instructor requires a number of additional covers not included as standard a part of a private motor insurance policy.

These can include cover for the following.

Driving instructor insurance discounts

Motorists usually pay more for driving instructor car insurance so it is important to try to keep costs down. One way to save money is to compare quotes from a number of different insurers - and it's easy with Towergate. We provide access to a panel of driving instructor car insurance companies and Lloyds Syndicates. 

You can help to keep your driving instructor's car insurance premiums down by choosing a low group car, adding additional security or keeping your vehicle garaged over-night.

Insurance companies reward careful claim free drivers with lower premiums, so try not to claim unless the damage is serious. You can then build up a no claims discount and potentially cut the cost of cover by as much as 65%.

No driving instructor wants to pay over the odds for business car insurance but it is also important to remember that the cheapest policy is not always the best. You might, for example, want to pay a little bit extra for more extensive cover. This could save you money in the long run, for example it could provide you with a replacement vehicle for a longer period keeping your business on the road.

This is a marketing article by Towergate Insurance.

Driving instructor insurance from Towergate

Our award-winning driving instructor insurance provides:

  • Flexible cover for driving instructors, tailored to your specific needs
  • Protection for dual control replacement cars, comprehensive cover and off-road tuition cover
  • Specialist driving instructor insurance for Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs), Potential Driving Instructors (PDIs), driving schools, commercial tuition fleets and dual control contract hire vehicle operators

About the author

Chris North FCII, commercial vehicles insurance articles author Chris North FCII is a respected industry leader with over 40 years' experience, who has worked in the insurance industry in a variety of roles, accumulating a wealth of knowledge. He is currently Technical Manager for Towergate's motor division, providing expertise on all matters relating to motor fleet insurance, in particular haulage and self-drive hire fleets.