Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Counsellors' Insurance

A helping hand for listening ears with counsellors' insurance from Towergate.

  • Specialist counsellors insurance for you and your business, including cover for working from your home, or over Skype/phone/video
  • Bespoke packages tailored to your needs from as little as £55.35 per year, with no hidden fees or charges* (T&Cs apply)
  • Preferential rates available for members of a range of professional bodies

Get your Counsellors Insurance insurance policy online

Get a quote

Speak to one of our advisers and get the cover you need

0330 123 5910
0330 123 5910

Weekdays 8.30am - 5.30pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Features of our counsellors' insurance

Cover for working in at number of different locations

As a counsellor, we know that your job can take you anywhere – so our policy provides cover for working in a variety of locations from your home, clients' homes, over Skype, at events, and more. Or perhaps you run your own practice or have your own premises? We can provide cover for buildings, contents, stock and corresponding business insurance, tailored to your needs.

Professional indemnity

Should the advice or guidance that you give to your clients be incorrect and leads to loss or injury to them, our policies provide professional indemnity to pay for any costs awarded against you, up to £10 million. This can be flexible to your circumstances and we can work with you to ensure you get the cover you need.

Discounts for members of professional bodies

If you’re a member the BACP, we can offer a 10% discount. During your quote, let our advisers know and we’ll take care of the rest.

Additional cover for your business

In addition to our cover for counsellors, we also provide extras such as home business insurance and employers' liability cover so talk with one of our advisers for advice on what else you might need to cover you and your growing business.

£55.35 price terms and conditions

* Offer available for new customers only. Price based on a BACP student member selecting a £1million limit of indemnity as a sole trader. Underwriting and eligibility criteria will apply.

Price correct as at July 2021.

Counsellors' Insurance Claims

Our in-house care insurance claims team is on hand Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm to support you. Furthermore, if you have an urgent concern, we offer a 24 hour helpline.

For material damage and business interruption claims of over £5,000 you can count on our claims assist team. We will appoint a chartered loss adjuster specialising in the type of loss you have experienced to look after your interests and ensure the entire claims process is handled quickly, fairly and without unnecessary stress.

Need to make a claim?

Call us or email us with: your policy number; a phone number to reach you on; details of your claim; and photos where possible and relevant.

0330 123 5321

Counsellors' Insurance Articles & Guides

We've selected the following articles for you:

Managing Staff Absence In Your Practice News Image


Managing Staff Absence in Your Practice

Statistics from the CIPD show that staff absence levels have dropped in the public sector. However, staff absence is still a concern. Read on to find out more about staff absence and the methods used to address the issue.

Care Awards group photo


Towergate Care Awards 2016 Winners

Having been truly overwhelmed by both the quality and quantity of nominations for the inaugural Towergate Care Awards, our judging panel was eventually able to narrow down each category to three stand-out finalists. Meet our 2016 winners.


insurance guide

A Guide to Locum Insurance

When a locum is required to cover an absence in a medical practice it can be a stressful and costly time. Locum insurance can help your practice to continue putting patients first and protect you from the increased cost of working as a result of a staff absence.

Counsellors' Insurance FAQs

Do I need loss of income insurance?

We do offer loss of income and business interruption insurance as well as various other business insurances but not as part of this package. If you require these covers we can provide them via our business insurance department. One of our advisers will be able to advise you further.

How do I know what level of liability cover I need?

As every profession is open to different risks and claims are unforeseeable events, it’s not possible for us to safely recommend any level of cover. Our best advice, therefore, is to select the highest amount of cover you can reasonably afford. We can, however, offer full flexibility on your policy meaning that if you need to raise or lower the level of cover at any time we can accommodate this easily.

Do I still need insurance after I stop practising?

You may want to consider run-off cover to provisionally cover you against any claim made against you for work done while you were practising. Our advisers will be able to set this up for you at the end of your policy.

I’m training as a therapist, do I need insurance?

Depending on what you are studying and if you are practising you may want to protect yourself against claims. As everyone’s situation is different and claims are unforeseeable we can’t advise either way but would suggest that even though liability and indemnity insurances are not legal requirements you should not leave yourself vulnerable if you think you could open to a civil liability claim. Some member organisations will recommend a specific level of cover, so you may wish to check this if you are a member of a professional body.

Is my stock and equipment covered?

This policy is designed to cover the practitioner - not a business or property. If you require these extra covers we can provide them at the same time with a business insurance policy which will offer the relevant cover for your stock, cash and premises.

Can I pay in instalments?

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL). To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit. To understand more about how PCL work with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

What type of business are you?

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.