Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Flat Insurance

Cover for your flat or apartment

  • Buildings cover if you’re the freeholder, or if fixtures and fittings are your responsibility
  • Cover for the contents of your flat
  • Cover for a range of property types, including converted flats, and flats above shops or businesses

Request a flat insurance quote online:

Get a quote error retrieving broker login link

Call today for a flat insurance quote

0344 892 1753
0344 892 1750

Mon - Fri 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 1pm

Features of our flat insurance

Flat contents insurance and flat buildings insurance available

We provide flat contents cover up to £75,000 for leaseholders - and if you’re a freeholder we can also offer buildings cover, too. What’s more, if you’ve got a ‘demised premises’ or your lease states you’re responsible for things like fixtures or fittings, our cover can flex to include it. Just give us a ring, and we’ll be able to add on just what buildings cover you need under your lease terms, without doubling up with your freeholder.

Cover for different types of flat

Some insurers won’t cover your flat unless it’s in a purpose built block. Here at Towergate we can cover flats in converted barns or warehouses, and even flats above shops or other business premises.

Alternative accommodation if your flat is uninhabitable

If there’s an incident at your flat – like a leak from upstairs - and you can’t live there while we work to get it sorted out, with our flat insurance you’ll also get alternative accommodation. That means we’ll cover the cost of you staying elsewhere – Depending on the type of insurance you take, we’ll pay up to 20% of the rebuild cost of your property, or up to 20% of your contents value, or whichever is greater.

Flexible flat contents insurance

We know you want insurance for peace of mind – and that you want to do it once and not think about it again. That’s why our policies come clever, so for instance, cover automatically increases by 10% over Christmas to cover your presents and food. Let us know about anything else you think might be relevant, and we’ll make sure you’ve got the right level of cover at the right time.

Flat Insurance Claims

We have a dedicated claims team on hand from 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday with the exception of bank holidays. They are experienced in handling property related claims so when you call, you’ll know they understand.

We pledge to act within 24 hours of receiving your claim and within five days if you provide new information on an existing claim. Our approved suppliers and loss adjusters will also ensure they contact you within 24 hours to ensure your claim is handled with utmost efficiency and ease.

Furthermore we believe in giving you options, you can choose to use an approved supplier and we will organise repairs and finance, or select your own contractors and we will pay them directly.

Need to make a claim?

Get things started, call the team between 8.30am and 5.30pm on:

01708 777 710

Flat Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from our home and property hub:

Natural Light Window 464


10 Ideas for Refurbishing Your Home

Looking for ways to spruce up your home or make your property more appealing to prospective tenants? In this article we explore 20 creative refurbishing ideas for homeowners...

View article
How To Insulate Your Home


How to Save Energy at Home

Saving energy at home starts with proper insulation. Stopping the escape of heat will save both energy and money - and while some improvements will require a trained professional, there are also a number of things you can do by yourself. Read on to find out more about the big and small things you can do to save energy and reduce your energy bills.



How to Protect Your Home While You're Away

Unoccupied home insurance requires that the property looks ‘lived in’ even when it isn't, likewise we don’t want to advertise our absence when we’re away on holiday to potential thieves. We've look into the useful tips you can use to secure your home while you’re away.

Flat Insurance FAQs

What is flat insurance?

Flat insurance offers insurance cover for your flat. As a leaseholder you can cover your contents, extend that to include fixtures and fittings if you’re responsible for them, or you can get buildings insurance too if you own the freehold and are responsible for the building itself.

How much does flat insurance cost?

It depends whether you want a contents insurance policy, a buildings insurance policy, or a bit of both. Call our team on 0344 892 1750 to get started, or get a quote online.

Do you offer home emergency cover?

Yes, you can add cover for home emergencies to your property insurance policy.

  • Three levels of home emergency cover, starting with emergency repairs to the primary heating system at your property
  • Extend to include emergency repairs to your drainage and water services, securing broken windows and doors - and dealing with pest infestations
  • Access to a 24-hour helpline and network of reliable UK tradespeople

Please talk to your Towergate adviser for details.

Can you cover demised premises?

With a demised property you’re responsible for things like your floorboards and plaster walls to ceiling, as well as fixtures and fittings, and of course your contents. Some insurance companies won’t cover demised premises, but at Towergate we do. Just talk to our team and we’ll see what you need, and what we can do.

Can you provide flat insurance if I've had previous claims?

We specialise in providing cover where other insurers can’t. If you’ve had previous insurance claims we will still consider your case, whether or not you’ve been rejected by other insurers.

I rent my flat out. Will this policy cover me?

You’ll need a specialist landlords insurance policy, as this will cover you not just for your contents or buildings but things like public liability and loss of rent, too. You can call our specialist team on 0344 891 1750.

I run my business from my flat, will this policy cover me?

Yes, we can cover your home if you work from home. We can also offer business insurance for your home business. Give us a call and we’ll chat through your options.

Can you insure my flat if it’s a flood risk?

Yes, we have policies which will cater for flood in some of the harder to cover areas and can often refer cases to our insurers to try and find you a policy.

Do you do alternative accommodation?

Yes. If there’s an insurable incident at your flat – like a leak, or a fire, anything that you’re going to claim for - and the damage means you can’t live there while it’s fixed, we’ll put you up in a B&B or hotel.

There are limits to this cover, though. You’ll get accommodation paid for up to 20% of your rebuild cost – if you have buildings insurance, or 20% of your contents value – if you just have contents insurance, or whichever is greater if you have both.

You’ll be asked to supply these figures when you get your flat buildings and/or contents insurance, estimating what it would cost to rebuild the property from scratch, or what it would cost to replace the contents from scratch.

How can I pay for my flat insurance premium?

You can pay by credit card or monthly direct debit.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.