Home Buyers Insurance

Property insurance for a home you’re buying between exchange and completion.

About Home Buyers Insurance


Specialist home buyers insurance team

Specialist cover requires specialist knowledge. If you have any questions about our policy or if you need to make a change, our friendly customer service team is available Mon - Fri 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 1pm


Continuing home buyers cover

You can stay on the same policy after you have completed the sale so that you don’t have to shop around for another policy.


Flexible Cover

Whether the property will be unoccupied, you’re having work done, planning to rent, or running a business from your new home we have flexible cover to suit you.


Dedicated home buyers claims team

Our friendly and helpful claims team are available 5 days a week, 8:30am - 5:30pm. Just give them a call with your policy number, contact information and claims details and they will get the process started.

Features of Home Buyers Insurance

Standard cover

Buildings insurance

If you’re buying a house or rental property, you’re responsible for your new bricks and mortar from the moment you exchange contracts. If it something happens before you move in, you’re still obliged to buy it. We will cover you in this scenario.

Contents cover

Because our policy extends to when you move in, your contents will be covered as soon as the removal men bring your contents through the door.

Rental property cover

We can also provide buildings cover for a rental property you may be staying in between exchange and completion of the sale.

New build cover for home buyers

We can also cover you if you are purchasing a new build home that doesn’t have a recognised postcode yet. Our system allows us to be flexible in this respect where as other insurance companies may be limited to registered postcodes.

Home Buyers Insurance FAQs


What is home buyers insurance?


Home buyers insurance is insurance for anyone buying a property. Once you’ve exchanged contracts with the seller, you’re contracted to buy the property. For example,  even if a major leak makes it uninhabitable, you’re still legally obliged to go through with the purchase.


Can't I get this as an extension to my ordinary home insurance?


Some insurance companies don’t like to insure a property when someone other than you is living in it – which is technically what happens after you’ve exchanged contracts with the seller of your new property. It is worth checking as you  may need a specialist policy.


Do I have to change back to an ordinary home insurance policy once I move in?


No – we can add your contents in once you move, so you can carry on under the same policy. We’re flexible, so for instance, if the property is going to be unoccupied for a while, if you’re going to rent it out, if you’re going to have refurbishment work done, our policy will adapt to your needs. Just keep us informed of your circumstances and we can update your policy accordingly.


What happens if my buyers don't have insurance?


If something happens to your property after you’ve exchanged with buyers, and they don’t have their own insurance in place, our policy means they're covered too.


How much does home buyers insurance cost?


Policies will vary depending on things like location, the rebuild cost of your property, and the value of your contents - go online for a quote or give us a call to chat through the details.


I'm going to rent the property out after the sale is completed. Will you still cover me with home buyers insurance?


Yes, we’ll be able to adapt the policy for lettings, subject to our usual checks.


Do I need to let you know when I've moved in?


Yes. Talk to us about adding on your contents, any changes to the property use (e.g. if you decide to rent it out) and any other add-ons you need for your particular property.


Where can I find full details of my policy?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0345 074 4760 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim