Home Renovation Insurance

Home improvement insurance, allowing you to stay protected while you renovate. From repairs to extensions, we are able to provide cover for properties that are undergoing renovations.

About Home Renovation Insurance


Dedicated Claims Team

Our dedicated claims professionals are available from Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm with the exception of bank holidays


Specialist Team

If you have any questions about our policies or if you need to make a change, our friendly customer service team is available Mon - Fri 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 1pm

Direct Debit

Pay for home insurance in instalments

You can use Direct Debit to spread your insurance cost


No need to call

For simple DIY and home improvements, you don’t need to inform us. Whether that is putting up a shelf or a lick of paint, this will be acceptable to us without altering your policy. Anything beyond this you would need to call us to discuss how this may impact your policy, This will include if you are looking to fit new kitchens and bathrooms, complete plumbing or electric work right up to fitting a new roof or double storey extension

Features of Home Renovation Insurance

Standard cover

Accidental Damage Cover

Accidental damage is included as standard while home improvements are underway, except when there is over 20% roof work or work on load bearing walls.

Unoccupied Property Insurance

If you’re moving out of the property for over 3 months while work is being done you may need unoccupied home insurance. In this case we can easily update your policy.

Theft or Attempted Theft Cover

You will be covered for theft while your renovations are being carried out as long as violent or forcible entry or exit has been used, except when there is over 20% roof work or work on load bearing walls.

Malicious Damage Cover

You will be covered for malicious damage on this policy while renovations are being carried out.

Home Renovation Insurance FAQs


If I am in lockdown away from my primary home for more than 30 days due to COVID-19, will my standard home insurance still be valid?


If you or your designated person are unable to visit your primary home entirely as a result of being elsewhere when the current period of government-enforced self-isolation/lockdown due to COVID-19 began, and you have taken reasonable steps to try to protect the property, the home inspection element of your home insurance policy may be suspended. Please speak to your insurance adviser to confirm.


Do you offer home emergency cover?


Yes, you can add cover for home emergencies to your property insurance policy.

  • Three levels of home emergency cover, starting with emergency repairs to the primary heating system at your property
  • Extend to include emergency repairs to your drainage and water services, securing broken windows and doors - and dealing with pest infestations
  • Access to a 24-hour helpline and network of reliable UK tradespeople

Please talk to your Towergate adviser for details.


What if I've had previous claims?


We specialise in providing cover where other insurers can’t. If you've had previous claims, we will still consider your case whether or not you've been rejected by other insurers. This is also handled by our Colchester team and details can be found on our contact page. In all cases, the more information you are able to provide regarding your previous claims, the better.


Can you insure my home if it's a flood risk?


Homes which are at risk of flood are often a little trickier to insure. We have policies which will cater for flood in some of the harder to cover areas and can often refer cases to our insurers to try and find you a policy. You can read more on insurance, provided by our team in Colchester, for flood risk areas here.


I run my business from my home, will this policy cover me?


Running a business from your home often means you have slightly different need to a standard home. See our home business insurance webpage for more details.


What is property owner's liability?


Property owners liability is related to one’s legal responsibility to properly maintain property they own so it is not a danger to others. If a form of negligence connected to the property causes a third party to be injured or their property to be damaged, they may seek compensation from the property owner. Subsequently, it’s important to have insurance in place to cover this, most home insurance policies including our own, include this as standard.


Are there any exclusions?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the Insurance Product Information Document and Policy Wording, which are available during the quotation process.


Where can I find full details of my policy?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.


How can I pay for my premium?


You can pay by credit card or monthly direct debit.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 03450 744 760 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim