Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Landlord Insurance

We cover a wide range of rental properties and tenants including multi occupancy, students, local authority placements, unoccupied and much more.

  • Compare prices from up to 11 leading rental insurers so you get the right landlord insurance policy for your needs
  • Cover for rental property portfolios as well as single properties
  • Landlord cover for residential, commercial or mixed-use property

Quote, compare and buy landlord insurance online

Compare quotes error retrieving broker login link

Or call to speak to a friendly landlord insurance expert

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Features of our landlord insurance

Landlord insurance with loss of rent cover

If something happens to your property such as a fire, your property may become uninhabitable for your tenants. Which of course means that you’re likely to lose out on some rent. If your property is uninhabitable due to an insured peril (a danger such as fire, weather or water leak) we can find you cover for this.

Buildings and contents cover

We’ve a range of landlords contents insurance and buildings cover available to you via our panel with excesses as low as £100. This will cover you for escape of water, accidental damage, fire and more. Malicious damage can also be covered if required. If your property has a history of subsidence, we can cover you here too. All we ask is that you get your property inspected so we can apply the correct cover.

Rental insurance for property portfolios

We reward experienced landlords with reduced rates but we also reward landlords with more than one property. Insuring all your properties under one policy allows you to save on admin fees and receive discounts for every property you add. You can even add properties mid-policy if you need to. As these policies are a little more complex, it’s best to get in touch with us by phone so we can help you efficiently and accurately.

Wide range of tenant types covered

As tenants come in all shapes and circumstances, we’ll go out to our panel and find you a suitable policy. We can cover professionals, DSS, students, asylum seekers, local authority placements and even bedsits. However, If you require cover for a sub-let you may require a slightly different type of cover. When you talk to one of our advisers they’ll happily point you in the right direction.

We’ll find you the best quote

We compare quotes from leading insurers such as Axa, Geo, NIG, Simple Landlords, Zurich as well as our in house property underwriters to find you the right cover at the right price.

Axa Insurer
Geo Insurer
Nig Insurer
Simple Insurer
Zurich Insurer

Landlord Insurance Claims

Need to make a claim?

Call us or email us with: your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

0344 892 1384

If and when it comes to the crunch and you need to make a claim, we'll send the details of your claim to the insurer to get your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

If there are any complications with your claim, we’ll follow this up with the insurer and keep you updated with the progress of your claim.

Landlord Insurance Articles & Guides

Get tips and advice from our industry experts to ensure you get the best out of your commercial or residential landlord property insurance.

Student Landlord Insurance What Students Want From Accomodation


What do students want from accommodation?

Despite uncertainty around Brexit, the student property market has shown rapid growth over the last decade meaning the sector is now valued at more than £50 billion, which represents a 72% rise in value since 2014*.

Costs Of Being A Landlord


Costs of Being a Landlord

Letting out a property is an increasingly popular way to earn a comfortable income. However, as a new landlord, you may be surprised by the expense involved. Luckily we've listed the top hidden costs you might experience in your quest to be a good landlord.

How To Rent Good Egg Small


Character Reference Template for Landlords

It’s common practice for landlords to request character references from potential tenants. Read our tips and download our template letter to help you know what to write.

Landord Properties To Pay Tax On


A Landlord’s Guide to Paying Tax on Rental Income

How much tax you pay on your rental income depends primarily on how much profit you make and what your employment status is. In this guide to landlord tax, we will discuss how to calculate your rental income, how to declare it to HMRC, and provide more tax advice for landlords.

Landlord Insurance FAQs

Do I still have to check an unoccupied property I own every 7 days during the Covid-19 lockdown?

If you or your designated are unable to visit your property entirely as a result during the current period of government-enforced self-isolation/lockdown of COVID-19, and you have taken reasonable steps to try to protect the property, the unoccupied property inspection element of your policy may be suspended. Please speak to your adviser to confirm.

Do I need landlord insurance? Is it a legal requirement?

While landlord insurance is not a legal requirement, your mortgage lender may require that you do so. Also, the responsibilities in your tenancy agreement may be best served by an insurance agreement, especially to avoid putting your financial future at risk.

What does rental insurance cover?

Your rental property insurance covers you for the same as standard home insurance: things like fire, floods, escape of water, subsidence etc. The differences can be things like loss of keys, loss of rent, conditions on leaving it unoccupied, etc. Our online quote system or adviser will be able to discuss your requirements and find something that suits your needs exactly.

Can you offer landlord insurance for different rental property types?

Yes, we provide rental insurance for flats, houses, coach hoses, blocks of flats, bungalows etc.

Do you protect against loss of rent?

You can claim for loss of rent if your building is uninhabitable due to damage or an accident which is covered by the rest of the policy. Some of the policies offered by our panel can also insure your property whilst it is empty. This only covers you for damage whilst the property is already empty though, and therefore won’t cover your lost rent.

Does landlord insurance cover me for loss of keys?

Yes. We can cover loss of keys, and the replacement of locks and damage from an emergency access. Say your tenants vacate your property and keep a set of keys, or whilst unoccupied you lose the master set. Replacing the locks and keys – or, worse, having to break in – in an emergency during the time you lose your keys can cost a considerable amount. We can offer peace of mind knowing these easy accidents can be covered by your landlord insurance.

I’ve been told Towergate offer the cheapest landlord insurance, but my online quote is not the cheapest?

Whilst our online insurance portal offers suitable cover to a large proportion of our landlord customers, we always advise speaking to our advisers directly if you have anything out of the ordinary, want specific cover for something or want to discuss ways to get cover even cheaper. We can often discuss lowering areas of cover you may not need, or want, or help you source a discount.

As a specialist broker, we pride ourselves on understanding our customers’ needs and finding them a policy that offers the most suitable landlord insurance, at the right price. However, sometimes this is best done over the phone.

I’ve had trouble finding rental insurance for my coach house, can you help?

A lot of landlords with coach houses to rent find it a struggle to get the right cover (or any cover at all) with high street insurers or online. Because we have access to large proportions of the insurance market and have good relationships with the insurers themselves we can find coach house policies that others can’t. You will need to speak directly to one of our advisers though!

I can’t find landlord insurance for my separate garage, please help!

As long as the building is on the deeds to the property, be it a garage, out building or annex we’ll be able to help you find the right landlord insurance policy. The tenant will need to occupy the property too. This means if you rent the garage or annex separately you may need to look to cover these on separate policies.

If my tenant(s) trashes my rental property can I claim?

We can provide malicious damage insurance. This doesn’t necessarily come as standard on all policies from our panel of insurers so make sure you ask us for it when you call us or get a quote online.

With malicious damage cover in place, if a tenant damages your building or your contents, you’ll be able to claim and we’ll do our best to recover the cost of the damage caused. So if a tenant spray paints your walls or slashes your sofas, we’ll sort it for you.

Will my rental insurance policy cover me for subsidence?

If you need cover for subsidence, we can provide it. However, there is a “but” – if your property has a history of subsidence we’ll require an inspection of the property to establish the risk of further damage before we provide cover.

All insurers are wary of properties with subsidence, even if it was 10 years ago, but usually we won’t have trouble finding you insurance as long as you can provide the correct paperwork to prove the initial cause has been dealt with and subsequent checks have been made. Speak to us on the phone, or via email, and we can discuss your options with you.

How does having a different type of tenant such as DSS or student affect my landlord insurance policy?

Insurance is all about covering risks. Statistically, tenants such as DSS and students pose more of a risk to your property. After all, it’s no secret that students like to party!

Some insurers or brokers simply won’t cover you if you have high risk tenants living in your property. Here at Towergate however, we can provide cover for a wide range of tenant types. So, if for example, that student party gets a bit out of hand and a window gets accidentally broken, you’ll be covered under the accidental damage section of your policy (if you’ve asked for that to be included in your policy).

How do I calculate my sums insured?

Many of our customers often assume the rebuild price is the same as the market value. This, however, is not the most accurate way to understand the costs because this value does not include the demolition and debris removal of the previous property, or the architects, materials or labour costs to re-build. Also many insurers will charge a penalty for under-insuring a property, so it’s very important this is correct. However, please be aware that in certain areas and at certain times, a property's market value may be far above its rebuild cost.

We advise all our customers to use a rebuild calculator or professional service to get the best landlord insurance cover for their property.

I’ve been a landlord for a number of years and I’ve never had to claim. Will this reduce my premium?

Absolutely. We really value experienced landlords and know that when you’ve been at it for a while, you tend to be lower risk. With that in mind, we reward careful and experienced landlords with reduced rates.

If I don’t receive rent for a period, can I claim for this?

You can claim for loss of rent if your building is uninhabitable due to damage or an accident which is covered by the rest of the policy. Some of the policies we can offer will also insure your property whilst it is empty. However, this only covers you for damage whilst the property is already empty and therefore won’t cover your lost rent.

How does having a different type of tenant such as DSS or students affect my policy?

We can provide cover for a wide range of tenant types. So, if for example, that student party gets a bit out of hand and a window gets accidentally broken, you’ll be covered under the accidental damage section of your policy (if you’ve asked for that to be included in your policy).

Can you offer landlord insurance for multiple properties?

Yes, we specialise in finding insurance policies for landlords with multiple properties. In fact if you have between 1 and 50 properties we can often find you discounts on the policies and the administration fees.

We can also include any new policies pro-rata, meaning you can keep the same renewal date for all your properties.

Can I pay in instalments?

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.