Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Shop Insurance

Whether on the high street or out of town, our shop insurance policy, backed by leading insurers helps to keep you open all hours.

  • Our policies are backed by a leading panel of insurers
  • We cover a wide range of retail businesses, from florists to newsagents
  • Cover high risk goods such as wines and spirits, cigarettes and tobacco

Get your shop insurance quote online and buy today:

Compare quotes error retrieving broker login link

Call the shop insurance team to talk through the cover you need:

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Our shop insurance policies can provide a range of features including:

Stock and contents

You can include your shelves, racking, till systems, stock and high risk goods like alcohol and tobacco within your shop's contents insurance. If you'd like to add cover for frozen stock, cover for seasonal increases in stock or cover for stock in transit these options are also available. Please make the team aware if you serve food which has been cooked on the premises as this may change your terms.

Glass cover

It's common for shop owners to be responsible for the glass within the store including the shop front. Therefore we give you the choice to cover it as part of your policy. If your glass display is completely unique, we can specify this with in the policy to ensure if something goes wrong you have it covered for replacement as it was before.

Public and employers' liability

If you have employees just let us know and we'll include the cover you are legally required to have for the number of staff you employ. Public liability is not something you have to have legally but is encouraged as it will protect you should a customer slip and injure themselves whilst in the shop and allege this was your fault. Many of the shop policies we offer will include this valuable cover.

Business interruption

Whether you have experienced a break in or a burst pipe, if you have to close-up shop whilst repairs are carried out following a claim, we can provide insurance to cover your overheads in the meantime. Business Interruption will cover you for the loss of gross profit you incur due to the resulting reduction in turnover time.

Shop Insurance Claims

If and when it comes to the crunch and you need to make a claim, we'll send the details of your claim to the insurer to get your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

If there are any complications with your claim, we’ll follow this up with the insurer and keep you updated with the progress of your claim.

Call us on:

0344 892 1384

We're here to help Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm

Shop Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more about business from Towergate:

Stock Insurance 2


How to Insure Your Shop’s Stock

There is a lot to consider when calculating your insurance for your business, including stock, contents, buildings, vehicles, liability and indemnity needs. It can be quite a daunting thing to consider, especially when, as a business owner, it is protecting your livelihood.



New Markets: 5 Tips for Assessing Risks & Opportunities

Whether you're a fledgling business or a well-established enterprise, tapping into a new market is a great way to grow your company and reach new customers. But, as with all business ventures, there are risks to be considered. Here is a list of things to think about when assessing the risks and opportunities in a new market.

Shop Insurance FAQs

What is shop insurance?

Shop insurance is a kind of specialist policy tailored to the specific needs of a retail business. The main things it should cover are your premises, customers, staff, and income.

Do I need shop insurance?

If you run a retail business from a commercial property, you’ll want a retail insurance policy tailored to your exact requirements.

What is ‘Seasonal Increase of Stock’ insurance?

This is for shops and other businesses that have amounts of stock which fluctuate substantially in different seasons (a school uniform retailer for example will have more stock in August/September). This cover allows your ‘sums insured’ amount to be increased by an agreed percentage for your busy times of the year, and helps keep your costs down. Make sure you let our team know if you'd like to add this cover.

What is ‘loss of licence’ cover?

‘Loss of license’ insurance can cover the loss of income and lowering of the overall value of your business due to loss of your license to sell alcohol on your premises. This cover is not included as standard so please enquire with the team for full details.

Do I need to cover glass under my shop insurance?

Glass cover can be included on this policy if required. If you own the building this is likely to be something you want to include and if you have a unique window display or it’s a particularly large proportion of glass on your shop front, we advise speaking with the team to make sure it’s covered correctly on your policy. If you don’t own the property you may still be liable for damage to glass. Check with your landlord to see who’s responsibility it is to be sure.

Can ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) be covered on my shop insurance?

Yes, ATMs both inside and built into the walls of your shop can be covered on this policy, please make the team aware this is something you require.

I sell stock online, can this be insured too?

We can provide cover for stock sold online and exports to outside of the UK but again you need to let the team know when running through your details so they can ensure they provide you with the correct policy for your needs. In addition to Products liability You will also need to consider if goods in transit insurance is needed.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.