Crafters Insurance

Whether you are a creator and retailer of ceramics, glass, fibre and textile, costume jewellery, paper, wood and furniture, stone, or metal craft objects, our crafters cover can protect you and your business. We can offer public, product and employers liability; loss or damage to stock , contents and equipment; commercial combined cover - and more.

0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5pm

Request a callback

About Crafters Insurance


Public liability insurance for crafters

Depending on your requirements, you can have crafters public liability cover indemnity limits of £1m, £2m, £5m or £10m. .


Legal defence costs covered

Cover for legal defence costs including compensation you may have to pay, up to your selected indemnity limit.


Crafters cover from just £10.93 per month*

Cost-effective insurance for crafting professionals and businesses

Direct Debit

Direct Debit payments available

You can pay for your crafters insurance in 10 monthly instalments.

Features of Crafters Insurance

Optional covers available

Crafters public liability cover

If you interact with the public on a daily basis or your business activities are performed in a public area (e.g if you have a shop for your craft products), you need public liability insurance. It protects your business if a third party is injured due to your fault while at your premises or in a public environment.

Employers' liability insurance for crafting businesses

Our crafters insurance offers tailored employers’ liability, which is a UK legal requirement if you employ any staff. This helps protect you with legal defence costs and compensation claims from employee injuries or work-related illness as a result of your negligence.

Cover for seasonal uplifts in stock

Our retail cover for crafters includes an automatic seasonal adjustment for busy times such as Christmas, allowing you to automatically increase your ‘sums insured’ stock levels by up to 30% for no extra cost.

Business interruption cover

If you have premises that could suffer loss or damage due to fire, flood, storm and other specific insurance perils, such as burst pipes, this could cause your trading to be disrupted until the premises are repaired. Our business interruption insurance can help you protect your fixed expenses and the loss of gross profit suffered whilst you are unable to trade normally.

Additional cover

Add extra trades to your crafters insurance policy

If you are also involved in other trades, we can look to expand your policy to cover them. Please talk to us for more information.

Crafters Insurance FAQs


How much public liability cover do I need?


Towergate can offer public liability insurance policies with cover from £1 million up to £10 million or higher. The amount you need will depend on several aspects:

  • Your business activities
  • The type of locations and environments you are working in
  • The processes involved, particularly if these are of a high-risk nature involving any application of heat-work i.e. blow lamps/torches or welding.

When you are contracting with companies, please check with them to find out if there is a minimum amount of public liability insurance required.


How much does crafters insurance cost?


The cost of your crafters insurance will depend on what your business is and therefore how much cover you require. This will determine the level of risk for the insurer.


What factors affect my crafters insurance cost?


Your public liability insurance cost will depend on a number of factors, including:

  • Your trade or profession and the hazards associated with your activities – e.g. work at height, depth, use of heat (blow lamps, welding equipment), types of materials used
  • Where in the world you work and the activities carried out - e.g UK-only and/or Europe, or worldwide – including or excluding USA/Canada
  • Number of employees, clerical or manual, and if you have any sub-contractors
  • The limit of indemnity you require - £1 million, £2 million, £3 million, £5 million, £10 million or higher
  • What is included in your public liability insurance quote (standard level or extra covers)
  • Your past claims history
  • For larger businesses, estimated annual payments to direct employees - clerical/manual, labour-only and/or bona-fide sub-contractors
  • The size of your business e.g. turnover (the more work you do, the greater the risk exposure and the higher the premium)

Your risk management and health and safety record


Is public liability insurance required by law?


Public liability insurance is not usually a legal requirement like employer’s liability insurance, but there aren’t many businesses that can safely operate without this protection.

Despite all the precautions under the sun, accidents can and will happen, and being vulnerable to a lawsuit can spell disaster for a growing business. As our public liability insurance can cover up to £10 million, the importance of having this protection is clear.

While public liability insurance is therefore not required by law, it is likely to be necessary for your business to operate successfully.


If I have employees, is public liability insurance a legal requirement?


No, public liability cover is not a legal requirement, but as you will have employees under you supervision and control  you will have a legal duty to arrange Employers Liability insurance. This cover will normally be bought alongside Public liability cover.


Is public liability insurance tax deductible for business insurance?


Yes, public liability insurance is tax deductible when calculating taxable profit, as an 'allowable expense' (an expense you can deduct when calculating taxable profit for your tax return). It is included in HMRC’s definition of allowable expenses.

When you buy your public liability insurance, be sure to keep your receipt and your policy documents safe so that you can show your tax calculations if your business is checked by HMRC. Also, if you have an accountant that does your tax return, you will need these documents to show them the cost of your cover so they can calculate it correctly and ensure your public liability insurance is tax deductible.


What's the difference between public liability and employers' liability cover?


While public liability insurance provides cover against claims from members of the public for damage to their property or bodily injury caused to them due to your negligence. Employers' liability insurance protects the business from allegations of accidental bodily injury or illness to employers sustained whilst engaged in business activities for you. If you are at fault the policy will initially cover your legal defence costs and then will pay any court awards for injury.


I have heard that someone wants to make a claim against me - what do I do now?


As soon as you become aware of a claim or potential claim being made against you for injury or damage:

  • Notify us so that we may alert your insurers.
  • Pass all correspondence on to us unanswered.
  • Do not ignore or dispose of any letters from any representative of or anyone making a claim against you. The claim is unlikely to go away and the situation will only get worse if not attended to promptly.


One of my employees had just had an accident at work, what should I do?


We recommend that you:

  • Meet your legal obligation to record accidents in your accident book.
  • Follow RIDDOR procedures
  • Report all accidents to your insurers.
  • Do not accept responsibility or agree to pay compensation even if you think it is obvious that it is your fault.
  • Allow your insurers to investigate and advise you of the best course of action to be taken.

If you accept liability before referral to your insurer’s then you could prejudice you and your insurers' ability to defend any claim made against you.


Can I pay for my crafters insurance in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit instalment scheme for spreading payment over ten months, through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL). Please visit our dedicated instalment Direct Debit page to find out more.


Does crafters insurance cost more if I pay my premium in instalments? 


A variety of payment options are available and the interest transaction charge and annual percentage rate (APR%) vary according to the amount of the premium, the number of monthly instalments and type of premium finance scheme selected. We will give you full details of the additional amount payable, instalment amounts, number of instalments and APR when you ask us for a quotation.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim

* The monthly cost of £10.93 would be payable in 10 monthly instalments, and is based upon a total cost of £109.26, broken down as below:

  • Premium of £68.05, including 12% Insurance Premium Tax
  • Our administration fee of £29.50
  • Additional 12% interest transaction charge (£11.71) for the cost of instalments.

Cover is for public liability cover with a £1 million limit of indemnity. A sole trader crafter with no employees or sub-contractors with no past claims, excluding use of heat, third-party property damage excess of £250 as stated in the quote schedule, and subject to acceptance criteria. For full details see the policy wording.

Terms and conditions, premiums and excesses will vary according to your circumstances, as a limited panel of insurers are available - it is important that you read the full information available.

Details correct as of 11 March 2022.