Getting Insurance in a Flood Risk Area

The effects of flood can range from minor to devastating. In this video we explain: how to find out whether or not you are in a flood risk area, the risk assessment process, warning systems and insurance.


Video transcript:

Getting cover for your property can be tricky if you’ve previously claimed for flood damage or your property is in a flood risk area. Many companies won’t provide any cover what so ever. At Towergate we will do our best to provide cover but in some cases this cover could exclude flooding.

In order to assess what sort of cover we can provide, we’ll conduct a flood risk assessment. This assessment is impartial and takes into consideration past flooding events, the possibility of future events and the lengths you’ve taken to prevent flood damage.

If you’re in a flood risk area it pays to keep an eye on the Environment's Agency warning system. The warning system runs from level one to three - three being the highest threat level. As well as warning people, the environment agency also offer advice on how to cope with flooding at each of the three levels. Visit their website for more information.

In addition to the flood risk assessment I’ve already mentioned, we’ll also ask you about your flooding history to accurately assess the risk of it happening again and the amount of damage or loss it’s likely to cause.

If we can cover you for flood damage, we’ll cover you against flooding caused by:

  • Sea/estuary flood
  • River flood
  • Surface rainwater flood
  • Backing up of drains

If you’re worried that your property might be in a flood risk area or you’re struggling to get home insurance as a consequence, give us a call or enquire online to find out whether Towergate can provide coverage.

Up Arrow

Home and property insurance from Towergate

For more information on the cover Towergate can provide for your property, visit our home and property insurance webpage.

Up Arrow

About the author

James Cooper is a respected industry leader with over 10 years' experience in the home and property insurance sector. He works across a broad range of insurance product and policy development and delivery, including product development; customer sales and marketing; and P&L accountability.