Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Haulage Insurance

Easy-to-arrange insurance for your road haulage fleet.

  • In-depth knowledge of risks facing the haulage industry
  • Specialist advisers on the most appropriate pricing and cover options
  • Liability, transit, property and other essential covers available
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
haulage vehicle on road
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4300 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose haulage insurance with Towergate?


Expert haulage insurance advice

We understand the risks the haulage and warehousing community faces and will advise on the protection you need


Strong customer relationships

We pride ourselves on traditional face to face service, plus providing the latest haulage insurance advice to meet current and future needs


Haulage protection you need

We will discuss gaps in your cover and emerging risks, and help you mitigate and reduce risks, so you have the haulage insurance you need


24/7 haulage claims support

Claims handlers will be appointed to look after your business, with 24/7 helplines and regular analysis for ongoing advice

About haulage insurance


Haulage insurance advice from ‘buy-right’ experts

Towergate’s specialist motor team are one of the leading road haulage insurance brokers. That gives us the expertise to find cover that’s right for you, regardless of the size of your haulage fleet. If you operate just one or two trucks, no problem; we have a specialist team that’s all about looking after the needs of owner driver hauliers and those taking the first steps towards building a fleet of vehicles.


Specialist haulage insurance covers

As well as general haulage, specialist sectors include aggregate and agricultural haulage, concrete mixers and pallets and containers. Operate a warehouse too? Our experienced team can advise not just road transport businesses, but those that have diversified into warehousing and logistics too.


Business insurance covers for hauliers

Most of our clients choose us not just for our motor fleet expertise, but for our ability to cater for all their business insurance needs too such as liability, goods-in-transit hauliers’ liability cover, and property insurance. We’ll advise you on further essential covers too.


Immediate haulage claims assistance

The motor fleet insurance policies we offer are designed to provide you with help when you need it most, thanks to 24/7 direct-to-insurer motor claims helplines, access to our free Towergate ‘FirstCall’ motor claims notification app, and all the support you need from our own in-house team of road haulage claims specialists.

The specialist motor insurance policies we offer are designed to provide you with help when you need it most:

  • 24/7 direct-to-insurer motor claims helplines: call the claims number in your policy document.
  • Access to our free Towergate ‘FirstCall’ motor claims notification app.
  • All the support you need from our own in-house team of claims specialists on 0344 892 1434.
Woman typing on a laptop at a table with a coffee and notebook, a blurred backdrop of break out spaces with seats

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Haulage insurance FAQs

When choosing a haulage insurance policy, it’s important not to just buy on price, albeit price is always an important consideration. Look closely at other things too like:

  • Making sure the insurer is financially sound and will be there to pay a claim should things go wrong.
  • Making sure the cover provides the protection you need; that there is no ‘small print’ that takes away vital protection.
  • Whether your broker has been recommended to you and is a haulage insurance expert meaning you can rely on the advice they give.
  • What sort of service you can expect from your broker and insurer should you need to make a claim.

Exactly how much each operator must pay varies from insurer to insurer and depends on a variety of factors. These may include:

  • Whether any of your trucks are of exceptional value.
  • Where your trucks are driven and whether they go abroad.
  • The nature of your business activities and whether you ever visit hazardous sites or carry hazardous loads.
  • The profile of your drivers in terms of age and experience, and accident and conviction history.
  • Whether you have telematics devices or camera systems deployed actively to monitor and improve driving style and behaviour.

A haulier running up to five vehicles will usually see their trucks rated individually. Above that number of trucks, policies tend to be fleet-rated, whereby the premium depends significantly on past claims experience across your truck fleet.

Yes. If you would prefer to spread the cost of your haulage fleet business insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments (subject to acceptance).

To find out details, please read our dedicated direct debit page.

Haulage insurance policies do much more than simply provide you with protection again loss or damage to your trucks. They provide haulage operators with cover above and beyond what they are legally required to have when driving a vehicle on the road which is unlimited cover for third-party injury or death, and cover for damage to third-party property for an amount not less than £1.2 million.

The haulage policies we offer are particularly designed for road haulage businesses running HGVs. If your fleet includes lighter vehicles used for courier work, we can help you too.

Most customers buy comprehensive cover though more limited third-party fire and theft, and third-party only coverage is available too. Cover is of course available for trailers as well as tractor units.

As well as HGV motor fleet haulage insurance cover, we can also arrange other essential covers for haulage operators like goods-in-transit hauliers’ liability insurance, public and employers’ liability, property and business interruption insurance, as well as a range of other important covers such as commercial legal expenses and cyber insurance.

If you have an employee, or employees, even if only occasionally, or temporarily, then you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance. (Unless an exemption applies, such as family businesses where every employee is a close family member, providing they are not incorporated as a limited company.)

We can offer employers’ liability cover alongside your haulage insurance policy and the other essential non-motor business insurance covers.

Find out more information about the Employers’ Liability
(Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969

Yes. At Towergate, we know starting up a business can be expensive and insurance cover adds to the cost.

We’ll work with you depending on your circumstances to find the very best discounts we can for you, such as introductory discounts and no-claims discounts for companies using drivers with a claim-free driving history.

Care needs to be taken when taking out haulage insurance to make sure the cover you are buying is what you need and that there are no exclusions that are detrimental to the cover you need.

In addition to exclusions such as war risks, damage or contamination caused by radioactive materials, and terrorism, exclusions under a haulage insurance policy typically include:

  • Claims arising out of agreements, unless a claim would have been accepted in any case
  • Claims whilst your vehicle is being:
    • Used for any purpose that the certificate of insurance does not allow, such as racing and speed testing.
    • Driven by someone not allowed to drive by the certificate of insurance, such as someone who does not have the permission of the policyholder.
    • Driven by you if you do not hold a licence to drive the vehicle or you are disqualified from having such a licence.
    • Driven with your permission by someone who you know does not hold a licence to drive the vehicle unless that person has held a licence and is not disqualified from getting one.
  • Claims involving a vehicle being driven ‘airside’ (here at Towergate, we know how important ‘airside’ cover can be for some hauliers and can usually arrange that cover when it’s needed).

Yes, you can. We pride ourselves on our ability to insure a wide array of trucks, lorries and HGVs including vehicles used for heavy haulage.

Speak to one of our haulage insurance advisers for more information.

Read more FAQs

Read haulage insurance articles

12 Tips to Tackle Vehicle Rental Crime

Doing all you can to keep your rental fleet secure is vital. We've put together 12 tips to help you tackle vehicle rental crime.

Read more

Reduce the Risk: Occupational Road Safety for Your Vehicles

Learn how to create the right occupational road safety culture to ensure your fleet stays on the road - and reduce your transport insurance costs at the same time.

Read more

Vehicle Safety Features to Reduce Your Insurance Costs

Keeping drivers safe and insurance claims down is increasingly vital for transport operators. See how new commercial vehicle safety features can help.

Read more