Park Home Insurance Buyer's Guide

Need some help understanding your park home insurance? Our guide explains the various levels of cover you might require and offers advice on how to ensure you are adequately covered.

What's in this guide?

In this guide we will take you through the key points of our park home insurance cover, explain them in simple language and give you some tips on how to get the best value from your policy. Read on to find out more on:

What is park home insurance?

Park home insurance closely mirrors traditional ‘bricks and mortar’ home insurance however, there are a few aspects of park home ownership, park home construction and park home legislation which set it apart from regular home insurance.

What really sets park home insurance apart from traditional home insurance is that it recognises the different (‘non-standard’) construction of a park home. For example, a park home is built on a chassis out of timber and steel rather than on foundations like a regular house. It also recognises that ownership of a park home is such that you own the home but rent the pitch. Additionally, we know you’re liable for pitch fees and that if your park home is beyond repair, it has to be replaced via the site owner along with the additional cost of site clearance, re-siting and delivery. 

We also offer additional support for elderly park home residents who may live on their own. A 24 Hour Homecare Emergency Assistance Service is available and the call-out charges are covered by our insurance policy. 

What are the benefits of park home insurance?

Park home insurance protects your home and contents against most types of loss or damage ensuring that in the event of a fire or burst pipe the home can be repaired quickly and with minimal stress.

Essentially our policies provide peace of mind that should the worst happen, your park home will be replaced with a brand new equivalent.


  • New for old replacement for life – Regardless of the age of your home, in the event of a total loss it will always be replaced with its brand new equivalent including all associated costs such as; site clearance, re-siting, delivery, reinstatement of skirting, steps, outbuildings and your garden.

  • New for old replacement on contents too – Again, no matter how old your items are, we’ll replace them, with new equivalents if they get damaged beyond repair. We’ll even replace clothing and linen.

  • Temporary alternative accommodation - If your home is badly damaged or totally destroyed your policy will cover the costs of staying in temporary alternative accommodation up to a value of £30,000. 

  • Legal advice helpline – As many solicitors aren’t familiar with park home legislation we include a free legal advice helpline manned by experts in park home legislation. You can also speak to this team in relation to; employment law, consumer disputes and personal injury claims. Should you need to take a dispute further, we include legal expenses cover too.

  • Blanket cover – We understand that it can be difficult to calculate how much it will cost to replace your home and its contents as new. We also understand that this sum may change as you make home improvements and buy new items. With this in mind we automatically include high blanket sums insured for both the home and its contents.

  • Keys and locks –It is so easy to lose your keys - a huge worry too if you think they’ve been stolen. We include cover to replace external door locks up to a value of £500 if your keys are lost or stolen.

  • Excesses –In the event of a claim, excesses are typically £50 but they can be a lot more. At Towergate excesses are kept to a minimum. In fact, most claims are completely excess free. Subsidence damage is the only exception to this. See the ‘exclusions explained’ section below for more details.

  • Emergency Assistance –Who do you call at 3.00am to fix a sudden leakage? We include a 24 hour Homecare Emergency Assistance Service which also covers the first £250 of the call out charge, parts and labour.

Myth busting!

‘The park owner says I must insure the base upon which my home is sited’

This simply isn’t true. In the vast majority of cases, on licensed residential parks at least, the base is owned by and the responsibility of the park owner - it is their responsibility to insure it.

‘The park owner insists I must use the insurance he recommends’

Some park owners may introduce a particular park home insurance provider to you. Ultimately however, it is up to you to choose who you want to insure your home with. You are under no obligation to insure with your park owner’s recommendation.

‘I don’t need park home insurance’

Although it’s not a legal requirement, it is sensible to protect your most valuable asset. Furthermore, park owners are permitted to ask for evidence of insurance and in some cases, insurance may be required as a site rule. Another important part of insurance is covering you for any acts of negligence on your part e.g. injury to third parties or damage to third party property. Towergate park home insurance includes £5m worth of cover should you be taken to court.

How to get the best value from your park home insurance

The key to getting the best out of your park home insurance is to value your contents and the park home itself correctly so that you don’t end up underinsured.

Be sure you’re adequately insured but not over insured – There’s no point in over valuing your home and contents as this will simply increase your premiums unnecessarily with a level of cover you don't need.

Claim discounts -  Towergate offer discounts for members of IPHAS, NAPHR, PHRAA and NPHOC – these are the national park home residents’ associations. Discounts are also available if:

  • Your home is protected by the Gold Shield Warranty

  • You have a pitched tile effect metal roof

  • Your home is fitted with door and window locks approved by Towergate

  • You or your partner are aged 60 or over

Review your insurance cover at renewal -Perhaps you have stopped playing golf or cycling and no longer need to insure your golf clubs or bicycle? Have you down-sized meaning you can reduce your contents sum insured? Have you had a new tile effect roof fitted meaning you now qualify for a discount? If you think you’ve made some changes which might affect your insurance, give us a call when it’s time to renew and we’ll adjust your cover accordingly.

Think about any items you may wish to insure away from your park home –Items such as watches and laptops can be covered whilst you’re out and about. Again, you’ll need to tell us which items you want covered under this feature.  

Park home blanket insurance for your contents

Generally speaking, it’s relatively easy to find out the value of your park home and be insured appropriately. Contents however, can be a little harder to add up. Also, as you buy new items for your home it may be difficult to keep track of the value of your contents. Not to mention a hassle to phone up your insurance company every time you make a new purchase.

When it comes to contents cover, our policies include something called “blanket sums insured”. This essentially means that we automatically provide a high level of contents cover. So the danger of being under-insured is greatly reduced.

Similarly, if your park home is a few years old, you may normally need to get it valued to establish how much you need to insure the structure for. Our park home policy offers new for old cover to save you the effort of getting your park home valued.

To find out more about sums insured and blanket cover, give us a call and speak to one of our advisers.


Jargon buster

Here’s our run down of a few words and phrases which may be a little confusing.

  • Gold Shield Award - a warranty scheme for your Park Home which lasts up to ten years. It's normally provided on behalf of the Manufacturer by Gold Shield Trustees

  • Unoccupied - if the home has not been lived in for more than 30 consecutive days, we will class this as unoccupied and some of the features of your policy may not apply anymore. It's best to check your policy documents or with your adviser.

  • Unspecified personal effects - this refers to items that you may need to cover away from the home e.g. Laptops/tablets or pedal cycles up to the value of £3000 at any one time.

  • Excess - a payment you make towards a claim on your policy.

  • Public liability - your liability to other members of the public. We cover for legal costs and compensation payments resulting from injuries or property damage to others, which are caused by you.

  • Residential park - a park that holds a residential license and is likely to be open all year round.

Why choose Towergate?

As a specialist insurer with 40 years’ experience, we’ve come to know what park home owners want from their insurance. Combined with our flexible approach to insurance and a helpful approach to customer service, we’re confident that our cover and service will give you financial confidence and provide essential support where it’s needed most.

In addition, Towergate take a keen and supportive interest in the park home community by organising regional road shows, sponsoring the Independent Park Home Advisory Service (IPHAS) and many local associations too.

This is a marketing article by Towergate Insurance.

Want to find out more about our Park Home Insurance?

More details

Can we help you with anything else?

We've got loads of park home articles, tips, guides and videos. Take a look below for more content:

Buying A Static Caravan

Buying a Static Caravan

Holidaying at home is on the rise and if you’re thinking of investing in a static caravan, you’re securing a little piece of the UK just for you. Static caravans come in many...

View article