Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Second Home Insurance

Property insurance which can cover second homes such as weekend or weekday homes.

  • Cover for UK homes that are regularly used but not your main residence
  • Use of the property by your friends and family is included at no extra cost
  • Cover that fits your lifestyle - whether it's for work, entertaining or getaways

Get a second home insurance quote and buy online

Get a Quote

Already started a quote? Login to retrieve it.

Discuss your second home or property with us and get a quote today

0344 892 1750
0344 892 1750

Weekdays 9:00am - 5:30pm

Feefo logo



What does a second home insurance policy cover?

What makes a home a second home?

If the property is not your main residence but you visit it frequently it’s likely to be considered a second home rather than a holiday home. So what’s the difference? Mainly what you use if for. If the property is not solely used for holiday purposes and you visit it quite frequently, it is less risky for insurers and likely to be a lower premium. If you think your property might best benefit from second home insurance give us a call to discuss. A second home must be in the UK and not let out.

Second home contents insurance

If you have some contents in your second home which you need to provide cover for, we can help. This includes all your general contents excluding any personal possessions. If the contents sum insured you require exceeds £60,000, it will be sent to our underwriters for consideration.

Coverage for the most likely causes for a claim

The three most common risks when it comes to second homes are malicious damage to the property, escape of water and theft or attempted theft. With our policies, you are protected against these as standard so if you do need to make a claim, we have you covered.

Support for your second home insurance claims

When you make a claim, you can rest assured that the claims team will work with you to help you understand your claim, and you will be kept updated at every point.

Second Home Insurance Claims

If and when it comes to the crunch and you need to make a claim, the details will be sent to the insurer to get your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

If there are any complications with your claim, this will be followed up with the insurer and you will be kept updated.

Need to make a claim?

Call or email us with:

  • Your policy number
  • A contact number
  • Details of your claim
  • Relevant photos

Call the team on: 0345 074 4760

Email the team at:

Second Home Insurance Articles & Guides

Get tips and advice from our industry experts to ensure you get the most out of your second home insurance.

house front door


Doing the basics: Selling an inherited house

If you’ve inherited a house from someone who has passed away, it can be a difficult time. Often, as a beneficiary, you would like to have a quick and stress free sale of your inherited property. However, sometimes it’s not that easy if the property needs updating.

How To Insulate Your Home


How to Save Energy at Home

Saving energy at home during winter starts with proper insulation. Stopping the escape of heat will save both energy and money - and while some improvements will require a trained professional, there are also a number of things you can do by yourself. Read on to find out more about the big and small things you can do to save energy and reduce your energy bills this winter.

Second Home Insurance FAQs

What happens if I cannot visit my second home during the Covid-19 pandemic?

We understand that due to the Covid-19 outbreak you may be unable to visit your property. Read our FAQs for this situation.

I stay in my second home more than I stay at my main home, can you cover me?

  • In insurance terms, if you stay at your second home more often than your first home, we would consider the second home to be your main residence. An example would be if you rent a flat in London five days a week but return to your main residence at weekends. In this case you would need to insure both properties on standard home insurance policies to get the right cover.

  • Do I need a specific type of locks for the property?

  • Yes. Window and door locks must meet our minimum security requirements. Windows must have key-operated security devices. Doors must be BS3621, mortice deadlock of at least five levers, rim automatic dead latch with key-locking handle on inside with key-operated multi-point locking system with at least three fixing points and lock cylinder with at least five pins to the main entrance door.

  • Am I covered if I let my second home to others?

  • Our second home policy will not cover you to let out your property commercially. This includes anyone who stays there who pays you for their visit. If however you let family or friends use the property and do not receive any financial reward, you will still be covered.

  • If you wish to let out your property commercially, you will need holiday home insurance.

  • How long can we leave our second home unoccupied for?

  • If your second home is going to be unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days, you must get someone to inspect the property every seven days. Properties are at higher risk if they appear unoccupied and regular visits allow for maintenance of the visible areas. Also, regular visits mean that leaks or break-ins can be spotted as early as possible, helping minimise damage.

  • While your second home is unoccupied, water, gas and electricity supplies must also be turned off at the mains (and for the period from November to March inclusive all water tanks, pipes and apparatus are drained), unless required to operate an automatic central heating system used to maintain a minimum temperature of 15°C at all times.

  • Do I need additional cover for my second or holiday home when lending it to friends and family?

    It depends on the type of property and policy cover you have. For holiday home cover (‘not let’), if you have accidental damage included in your policy, you will be covered for use by friends and family, so long as you are not letting the property for cash reward. If you have second home insurance, you just need to let us know.

    If you are planning on renting your property, you can also get extended holiday home insurance for when your property is ‘let’. Speak to one of our friendly advisors to find out more.

    Do I still need to carry out property inspections when guests have stayed there?

    The requirements of your policy will not change, and as your guests may not be familiar with your property it is worth carrying out an inspection after they have left. Your guests must leave the property in accordance with the unoccupied element of your cover, please refer to your policy documents.

    What do I do if I need to cancel my cover?

  • You are entitled to a full refund of the premium paid if you cancel it within 14 days of receipt of your policy documents, if no claims have been made. You will still need to pay for the customer service charge and any time you’ve spent on cover. Simply call us - or send an email or letter - and we’ll be happy to process your request.

  • Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

  • If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

  • Request a callback

    Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.