French Holiday Home Insurance

Cover for your home away from home.

  • Cover for holiday homes and second homes across France
  • Insurance for a selection of property types ranging from maisons and châteaux to chalets and gîtes
  • Stay at your holiday home yourself, with family and friends, or rent it out

If you know what you need, run through a quote online and buy straight away

Get a quote

Call us today for a French holiday home insurance quote

0344 892 1750
0344 892 1750

We’re here for you Weekdays 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 1pm

Feefo logo



We cover a range of properties

French holiday home insurance from Towergate can cover your maison, gîte, château, or chalet, whether you use it for holidays or you let it out. We cover all of France and most kinds of properties; from rustic farmhouses and cottages of the vast Gallic countryside to luxurious villas in the glittering Côte d’Azur, or even upmarket urban apartments for the city dwellers.

Our cover protects more than just homeowners

Our holiday home insurance doesn't just extend to holidaymakers and landlords of properties abroad. It protects travelers, their contents and personal belongings. Our expert team have wide knowledge on holiday homes and the different ways they are used, built through years of supporting our valued customers. Be it a rental, a property you share with friends and family, or your own pride and joy, they will be on hand to answer any questions you have.

Natural catastrophe cover included

In the event of a natural disaster, damaging the property to the point where guests can no longer stay, you may be able to claim back what you would have earned during that stay. If you would like to rent your holiday home to friends and family, please make us aware in advance.

Emergency travel expenses

Towergate offers an emergency expenses service to support you should an emergency strike and leave you in an unexpected and difficult situation. Towergate may be able to provide up to £300 in travel expenses for you and a family member for travel to the property, and an additional £400 towards locating alternative accommodation, so you don't have to worry about getting there and having somewhere to stay.

French Holiday Home Insurance Claims

We have a 24 hour claims helpline available so you can report your claim as soon as it happens.

Once reported the team aim to call you back within 24 hours with the next steps, just note that if you report your claim at the weekend we aim to call back on the following Monday.

Photographs of any damage will help us to move your claim along more quickly so please take a few photos if you can. You can email these across to

Need to make a claim?

01493 845305

French Holiday Home Insurance Articles & Guides

We've got a whole hub of information about property. Read up on:



5 Steps to Buying a Holiday Home

If you’re thinking of investing in a second property it can be tough to know where to start. Not only do you want to find the perfect building and setting but accessibility and other concerns such as future value will also come under scrutiny. Our five point guide will help you get your head around these choices and provide a basis for when you’re shopping around.

Costal Holiday Home Exposed Thumb


How to Protect Your Holiday Home from the Elements

Purchasing property abroad is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make. Naturally you want to protect that investment, especially when your holiday home is left unoccupied and is more susceptible to threats.

Holiday Home Hotspots


Top 5 holiday home hotspots

There's so much coverage given in the press on the subject of overseas holiday home destinations that it's difficult to know what to believe. Opinions differ and often the advice given provides conflicting information about which country is currently looking the most favourable. Naturally, every property buyer is hoping to find an ideal home in a great location at a good price. There's always the additional wish that it might also prove a lucrative investment, either through renting or selling as and when the market improves.

French Holiday Home Insurance FAQs

Is this policy only eligible for holiday homes in France

No, if you have a holiday home in any of the following countries you are eligible to apply for a policy: the UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Southern Cyprus, Bulgaria. The main criteria which make a property a holiday home are how you use it and how often you go there. If you just use the home for holidays or holiday lets and you don’t visit frequently then it’s likely to be classed as a holiday home. If you have a property which you visit more frequently, say for work or to visit nearby relatives, then it may be considered a second home in insurance terms. See our Second Home Insurance page for more information.

My property in France does not fit into the category of a holiday home, can you still insure me?

If you have a unique case, our underwriting team can assess your individual circumstances and may be able to provide a tailored policy. As mentioned above, it may fit into the category of Second Home Insurance - but if not we may still be able to find cover that fits. Call the team to discuss your circumstances and we will try our best to find you cover.

If something happens to my French holiday home what can I do?

If an emergency strikes at your French holiday home and you need to travel there, we will pay up to £300 in travel expenses for you and a family member to travel to the property. As well as £400 towards alternative accommodation, so you don't have to worry about getting there and finding somewhere to stay.

Can I pay in instalments?

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly installments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL)

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.

Stay up-to-date with our latest news and offers

Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter

Newsletter Terms and Conditions

By signing up to Towergate’s newsletter you are agreeing to receive quarterly email communications containing a range of news, top-tips, competitions and occasional offers for insurance products and/or services. Our newsletters are designed to keep you up to date with what we’re involved in, as well as other advice and content that we think you might find interesting.

Should you wish to unsubscribe please click here, or email with your details so we can carry out your request.