Error loading MacroEngine script (file: [Razor]Breadcrumb.cshtml)

Home Insurance with or for Lodgers

Lodgers insurance covers your property and includes extra protection to account for your paying guests.

  • For lodgers and paying guests, with or without a rental agreement
  • We can offer you accidental damage whilst having a lodger
  • Benefit from quality home insurance with or without guests

Our online quote and buying system means everything can be done online too

Get a quote

Discuss your requirements on the phone and get cover that suits your situation.

0344 892 1750
0344 892 1750

We’re here for you Weekdays 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 1pm

Norman in his dressing gown

Do you want the flexibility to have paying guests covered on your home insurance? Read on to learn more about this type of home protection.

Lodgers and guests on your terms

We can cover you for lodgers and paying guests, with or without a rental agreement. So however you choose to host guests in your home, we can provide the cover you need. Our policy includes cover for up to three lodgers at a time, without affecting the price and also extends to national and foreign students. You can always ask the team for help if you’re unsure whether we can cover your circumstances but this policy won’t cover DSS tenants, asylum seekers, refugees or bedsits.

Policy built around you

We can get the policy to suit how you choose for your home to be occupied, lodgers, boarders or paying guests, or a combination of all 3 please give the team a call to discuss your needs.

No charges when you change guests

You can take on up to three lodgers at a time in your property without affecting the price of your cover, and you won’t need to inform us if you change lodgers, or if you take on extra guests. If you don’t yet have any lodgers but are considering it, we can even update your current Towergate policy to include this cover for a £15 customer service charge. As standard property owners liability is included for third parties but it doesn’t include liability towards your lodgers.

What is the difference between a lodger and a tenant?

It's easy to get mixed up over the difference between a lodger and a tenant. A lodger must live with you and share living accommodation. You'd also need to be living with them the whole time they are present or they become tenants once you leave. Finally, a lodger must not have 'exclusive occupation', meaning that their room cannot have a lock on it or exclude you from accessing it.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Home Insurance with or for Lodgers Claims

We recommend you report your claim as soon as possible and have a 24 hour claims number so you can call us straight away.

Once reported our claims team will call you back no more than 24 hours later with the next steps for your claim, hopefully we’ll get things sorted ice and quickly for you.

Need to make a claim?

Call or email us with; your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible.

01708 777 710

Home Insurance with or for Lodgers FAQs

I have guests stay with me but I don’t charge them. Do I still need this insurance?

Unrelated guests that stay in your property you would not need this extra cover. Always check the terms of your current home insurance but it’s likely this will be adequate cover for your situation.

Can I claim if my guest doesn’t pay?

Our lodger policy does not include loss of rent or income protection insurance. If these are features you think you may need, please give us a call as it’s very likely one of our other landlord or guest houses insurance policies will work better for you.

What does 'new for old' mean?

It means that the item referred to will be replaced for its current value without a deduction for wear, tear or age.

What do I do if I need to cancel my cover?

You are entitled to a full refund of the premium paid if you find the policy unsuitable for your needs and cancel it within 14 days of receipt of your policy documents (as long as no claims have been made). You will still need to pay for the customer service charge and anytime you’ve spent on cover. Simply drop us an email, call or letter and we’ll be happy to process your request.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.