Professional Indemnity Insurance

Simply tell us what you do and we’ll source the right professional indemnity insurance for your profession.

  • 24 hour legal advice help line for all indemnity policy holders
  • Choose different levels of indemnity insurance limits
  • Special rates available for members of many professional associations

Thank you. We are now redirecting you to our Professional Indemnity page...

Thank you. We are now redirecting you to our Medical Malpractice page...

Thank you. We are now redirecting you to our Professional Liability page...

Feefo logo

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

Indemnity protects against compensation claims

There is no limit in the UK as to how much a compensation claim could be. This means a serious case could be in the thousands or even millions. Professional indemnity insurance protects you by covering the cost of a claim for compensation against you. But even if a court case is unsuccessful, you can also claim back the cost of defending yourself in court, and receive legal advice through-out the process.

The right level of indemnity

Depending on your profession, your turn-over and your industry, you’ll want different levels of liability and indemnity insurance. That’s why we’re flexible on the different aspects of our cover and each limit is set by you. We offer professional indemnity insurance ranging from £1million to £10million, interest free monthly payments and worldwide cover as required.

Get indemnity insurance instantly, just one call away

Do you need to start trading today, or tendering for a public contract? Call us today for a full requirement review and quote over the phone. Your policy can start immediately. We’ll email you the documents on the same day and send out paper copies within 24 hours.

Combine all your liability and business covers together

Professional indemnity insurance is only one part of a complete business insurance package. Depending on what you do and who you employ, you may also require public liability and employer’s liability. Not to mention tools cover, stock insurance and many more. Speak to us today to understand the best combination of cover to keep your business fully protected.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording.

Professional Indemnity Insurance Claims

Unless you’re a lawyer, the world of liability and compensation can be daunting, especially if a claim is being raised against you. Even If you think a claim may be bought against you, we can provide access to legal professionals who can help you right from the beginning.

In terms of your claim, we will talk you through the steps you need to take to prepare and how to further protect yourself. This won’t prejudice your claim either and you won’t need to fill out any paper work until you are ready to make a claim.

Professional Indemnity Insurance Articles & Guides

Liability and indemnity can be tricky to get your head around. Read our series of helpful guides to help you choose the most relevant cover for your business:

Man office professional indemnity insurance

insurance guide

A Guide to Professional Liability

Knowing you need professional liability insurance is one thing but understanding what the various liability insurances are and how they protect your business is another. Our simple guide looks at what insurance professionals may need and how they can insure they have got it right.

employers liability guide thumb

insurance guide

A Guide to Employers' Liability Insurance

Our simple guide details the main features including excess and offers advice on getting employers' liability insurance right. Not only is this cover a legal requirement for most UK businesses with employees but it's a vital cover for protecting your business itself.

Customers rate our service at 95%

Based on 738 independent customer reviews.

DateProductScoreCustomer Comment

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


Always responded promptly to queires

Professional Liability Insurance (New Policy Holder)


Everything dealt with efficently and courteously

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


Towergate have consistently provided me with my professional indemnity insurance for over 12 years. The communications and contact has been positive, however I would appreciate their consideration of providing either some form of 'no claims' discounts or some form of rewards for staying with them. As you can appreciate - having been with them for this length of time, and not having any insurance claims made, it would be advantageous for towergate and their customers to look at how they might offer a USP and provide further compelling reasons to stay with them.

On 26-Apr-2016 the supplier responded:
Hi. We are really pleased to hear that you have been our customer for over 12 years! And we’re also pleased that you have found communications and contact to be positive in this time. We really appreciate your feedback and will certainly look at ways we can reward our loyal customers like you. No-claims discounts are not something we can offer with the type of policy you have, but we will absolutely look at other opportunities to thank you for staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to give us this idea and we hope to be able to update you on some exciting new initiatives in the near future. Many thanks, Towergate Caring Professions Division.

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


I had to call about my insurance, this was because you put the price up nearly £40 and I couldn't understand why. It was change when I called, I'm sorry to say I am busy and I would like the price I am going to pay on the renewal notice. Thank you

On 26-Apr-2016 the supplier responded:
we would like to apologise for the issue you experienced on this occasion, and thank you for taking the time to let us know about it. While we do everything in our power to ensure that renewals are invited correctly, sometimes issues do occur that result in there being a mistake with the premium pulled through, which is what happened in your case. We appreciate that when you are so busy, you don’t always have time to speak to us, so it is important that your documents are correct. We are very sorry about this and will work hard to ensure this doesn’t happen again, to you or any other customer. If you would like to talk to us in more detail about this, please call us on 01438 735251. Many thanks, Towergate Caring Professions Team.

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


The company enable to meet my requirement for the policy

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


It is ok

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


I found the person I spoke to was very helpful

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


My fourth year with Towergate. They are always helpful, flexible and responsive.

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


When I have made contact to make an enquiry about or renew my insurance, staff have always been polite and courteous and are able to answer any questions I may have. The phone was answered quickly which is always a benefit and I was dealt with efficiently.

Professional Liability Insurance (Renewal)


But expensive compared with other insurers........Val Hill

On 21-Apr-2016 the supplier responded:
Thank you for your feedback. It really helps us to understand more about our customers and your expectations. Our rates are set by our insurers to reflect the risk they feel is covered, which not only includes public and products liability and professional indemnity, but also libel and slander and legal expenses too, which we feel are important elements of our cover. However, we are currently looking to review the rates with our insurer to ensure we remain competitive within the market. We hope this is satisfactory to you, but if there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of our specialist team on 0330 123 5048. Many thanks, Towergate Caring Professions Team.

More reviews

Professional Indemnity Insurance FAQs

Is it essential that I take out professional indemnity insurance?

Whilst indemnity insurance is not required by law, it is a type of insurance that 99% of businesses that need it, would not do without. Just having a claim raised against you, regardless of whether it’s founded or even successful, can be timely any very costly. Our professional indemnity cover could not only pay out for a successful compensation claim brought against you but also, it can cover defence costs and provide legal advice even if the claim is not successful. It’s also true that many professional trade organisations and institutions require you to have indemnity insurance before becoming a member.

How do I know how much cover I need?

For their own liability reasons you are unlikely to find an insurance company who will advise you exactly on how much cover you need. It is essentially your responsibility to take out adequate cover although our advisors can go through your options over the phone and explain how you might want to calculate this cost. Alternatively, many industry organisations or professional bodies will likely be able to offer your some advice.

I only work from home, do I still need professional indemnity insurance?

Professionals who send out products, offer advice of some kind, or provide some services from their own home can still cause harm for which they may be liable. For this reason it’s important you don’t make an assumption that you can’t do any damage when tucked away in your own home, and speak with an advisor about your risks.

I need more than just professional indemnity. Can you provide all my business insurance?

We sure can! We can provide public, employers and product liability packaged together with professional indemnity insurance easily in one package. If you require further business insurances like commercial property insurance, loss of earning, personal accident, stock cover we can provide these too.

What happens if I retire or cease trading?

When you stop trading or retire we recommend you still have something called ‘run off’ cover. This means that claims raised against you for an event that happened while you were still trading are covered (a claim can be raised any time up to 3 years after the fact). When you are ready we can arrange cover for you for this.

Do I receive a discount as a member of a professional association?

Many of our customers can get a discount on their insurance simply by being a member of a professional association or industry body. What’s more, for many of these, we also offer profession specific policies too. This means you can get specific cover with great discounts! Speak to one of our advisors to find out how much you can save.

Can I pay in instalments?

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Question not answered? Ask your own question

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.