Commercial Property Owners Insurance

Cover for a range of commercial properties from our trusted network of leading insurers.

  • Cover just one commercial property or a whole portfolio all under one policy
  • Choose the best, compare quotes from up to 13 providers
  • Unoccupied, non-standard, residential and mixed use buildings welcome too

Start your commercial property insurance quote online by sending us some details:

Get a quote

We give you options from a variety of insurers, call us for a range of quotes you can compare:

0344 346 3306
0344 346 0409

Mon - Thu 8:30am - 6.00pm, Fri - 8:30am - 5.30pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Feefo logo



What does commercial property owners insurance cover?

Cover your property portfolio in one place

We like to make life easier, by insuring your property portfolio in one place you'll get one renewal date, one reference number, one price and only one company to deal with. Not only that, but it's likely to be cheaper for you too. Call our specialist commercial property insurance team to discuss your options and we'll do the leg work for you.

Property owner's liability insurance

Liability insurance for commercial property is to compensate third parties in respect to property damage or injury through negligence related to the property and is included on all of the policies we provide. Just let us know how much cover you need.

Loss of rent

If you experience a fire at the property it may become uninhabitable while repairs are carried out. So you're not losing out on rent, or if you need to cover the cost of alternative premises, we reimburse you for the amount you would have earned from your occupants during this time. The cover can be tailored for rebuild periods up to 36 months, so you can select a timescale suited to your properties.

Commercial buildings cover

Our policies will provide cover for standard perils fire, flood, escape of water, storm, accidental damage and break ins. However if you need more from your commercial buildings insurance we can help too. Having a panel of insurers at our finger tips means we can insure more unusual buildings like non-standard or unoccupied properties, and cover different risks like terrorism.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Commercial Property Owners Insurance Claims

In the event of a claim please give us a call and we will talk through your claim and help guide you through your next steps in the process.

Need to make a claim?

Give us a call and we’ll help settle your claim

0344 346 3306

Commercial Property Owners Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more about landlords and commercial property:

Laurel House bnb


The Top 10 UK B&Bs

As part of our Great British Summertime, we've listed our top 10 bed and breakfasts across the UK. Follow the link to vote for your favourite holiday for the chance to win...

View article
Energy efficiency


How to Apply for Government Energy Grants and Improve Your Energy Efficiency

Landlords need to be ready for new legislative changes coming in 2018, which means thinking of ways to improve the energy efficiency of your properties. This article examines ways to ensure your properties meet the new minimum EPC rating and lists the energy grants that might be applicable to you.

Landlord 2


Landlord Stress - and How to Avoid It

You’ve got a property and you’re ready to rent it out. But it can be a stressful investment with a number of pitfalls if you're not careful. This article looks at some of the major problems landlords can run into – and what you can do to avoid them before they become a problem.

street in summer


Buying and selling property at auction

If you’re looking for an alternative to buying or selling through an estate agent, an auction house could be the place for you. Some of the risk and red tape associated with property can be avoided by going down the auction route. In this article we cover the key advantages of homes under the hammer.

Commercial Property Owners Insurance FAQs

What is commercial property insurance?

Commercial property insurance, also known as commercial landlord insurance, is designed to offer specialist protection for landlords letting out buildings to third parties for commercial use.

Do I need commercial property insurance?

Commercial building insurance is not a legal necessity but without it you will have to pay for any damage the property suffers. You will also be liable for any third party compensation claims related to property damage or injury through negligence.

Can you cover annual rental income and for how long?

In the event of a severe fire loss your property would be not be capable of being occupied by a tenant and you may suffer a loss of rental income until such time as the property has been fully repaired. How long will this take? All buildings are different and you must take into account the location , type and construction of the property. Specialist properties, grade 1 and 2 can take longer to build by their specialist nature. Also you need to consider the unknown – such as design, planning application and access delays – even allow for bad weather causing building delay. Its best to err on the side of caution and consider a minimum of 24 months and longer.

Can you cover unoccupied properties?

Yes we are able to cover unoccupied properties up to 30 days on a standard package for fire, lightning, earthquake and aircraft. Longer periods be arranged with some of our specialist insurers.

Can you cover me for buildings insurance if the building I'm looking to insure is listed?

Yes, we are able to offer cover for listed buildings.

There’s a flat above my property, are they insured on my policy?

It depends; if buildings cover is included, the structure of the flat would be too. With buildings cover this would include property owner’s liability, so slips and trips related to the building as a whole can be covered. It is down to the tenant of the flat above to arrange cover for their own goods/contents. For more information just talk through your circumstance with the team and they will aim to source the cover that fits.

What happens if I sell my business and the insurance is no longer required?

The premiums are generally refunded on a pro rata basis if you need to cancel. Therefore if you have paid in full for the year then you would be entitled to a return of premium (minus commission and fee). Likewise, if you are on a direct debit there will either be an outstanding balance to pay or a return due back to you depending on way your payments fall in the month. Most insurers are unlikely to allow a refund where a claim(s) have been made in the current year.

Is there a cooling off period?

Commercial insurance works slightly differently to an individual’s insurance policy, please be aware there is no cooling off period in commercial insurance.

Are you able to email me my documents?

Yes, we give our clients the option of posting or emailing documents to you. Just let us know when you set up your policy or call us at any time and we will resend them.

Who are the insurers?

This depends on the policy you have chosen. We act as brokers and have several schemes with different insurers. You may receive quotes from a few different insurers depending on the cover you request as we will seek policies from our preferred panel of insurers. To check who you’re covered with just check your policy documents.

How long does it take to get a quotation?

It varies dependant on each individual risk. On average we can provide a quotation within 20 minutes. For more specialist insurance we generally ask for a couple of hours so that we can go out to the market and find you a range of competitive quotes to choose from.

How can I pay?

You can pay in multiple ways, in full or direct debit. Payment in full can be done via BACS transfer or debit or credit card. All major cards are accepted except American Express.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.

Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter

Newsletter Terms and Conditions

By signing up to Towergate’s newsletter you are agreeing to receive quarterly email communications containing a range of news, top-tips, competitions and occasional offers for insurance products and/or services. Our newsletters are designed to keep you up to date with what we’re involved in, as well as other advice and content that we think you might find interesting.

Should you wish to unsubscribe please click here, or email with your details so we can carry out your request.