Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Tool Insurance

Tool insurance available as part of your tradesman cover package:

  • Overnight cover available for tools left on-site and in vans
  • Varying cover limits are available to suit your business, whatever the size
  • Our specialist team can advise the level of tool insurance you need

Get tool insurance online as part of your tradesman cover

Get a quote

Retrieve your quote >>

Call for details about tool insurance bespoke for you:

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Features of our tool insurance

Insurance for a range of tools and trades

We can cover a range of tools when they are on-site, in a van, at your business premises, or just at home. Our single article limit is up to £1,500, depending on equipment and policy chosen. As well as tradesman tools, we can provide cover for equipment for other professional roles.

Insurance for your tools while in transit

Our tool insurance covers your equipment should it be stolen or accidentally damaged (excluding damage caused while the tool is in use). This includes when your tools are in transit to and from your worksite (within the distances stated in your policy). Some of our polices can also include losses overnight; talk to one of our advisers for details.

Cover against fire, theft or malicious damage to your tools

As standard, we can offer from £1,000 to £5,000 cover per person for your tools. This protects against the effect of theft, fire, storm, flood, water damage and malicious damage (check your policy document for specific details).

Tool cover to provide you peace of mind

By insuring your tools against the worst happening, you give yourself peace of mind about your business. You can’t work without tools, but with our tool insurance you can purchase replacement equipment as soon as possible while knowing your costs are covered, meaning you can continue your contract work without any interruptions and keep your business running smoothly.

Tool Insurance Claims

Need to make a claim?

Call us or email us with; your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

0344 346 0409

Tool Insurance Articles & Guides

Read tips and advice from our industry experts.

public liability guide thumb

insurance guide

A Guide to Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance could be the most important cover you have. Not only does it pay out for claims that could otherwise topple a successful business but in many cases not having it would put customers and partners off using your services. Our simple guide looks at the main features and pitfalls.

Self Employment Guide


How to be Self-Employed: A Guide

Starting your own business is one of the most exciting career moves you can make. More and more entrepreneurs are making the leap, with the number of self-employed people growing from 3.8 million in 2008 to 4.8 million in 2017.

Article Image


Online Marketing Advice for Tradesmen

It's now essential that your company has an online presence if you want to compete against other tradespeople in your local area. Read our guide to online marketing for tradespeople to get to grips with the basics - it's easier than you think.

Tool Insurance FAQs

Why do I need tool insurance?

Cover for your tools provides you with peace of mind and protection should they be stolen or damaged. With our tool insurance, you know you can replace your equipment quickly and efficiently and carry on with your contracts, ensuring you are not left out of pocket and your business is not interrupted.

Do you cover tools left overnight?

Yes, standard cover includes protection between 9pm and 6am for tools kept in vans in locked premises. We have an option available to include tools left overnight on-site or in a van, on a 24-hour basis, with theft cover following forcible entry to an unattended van.

How much tool cover do I need?

This will depend on your profession, the type, value and amount of tools you use. Your cover should represent the total ‘replacement as new’ value of all your tools. Various limits are available ranging from several hundreds of pounds for small tools to several thousands for businesses using more tools and / or including higher-value equipment.

Check your policy carefully for the single article limit applicable, as this can vary between policies. Superior contracts give up to £1,500 any one item whereas a cheaper policy may have a much lower single tool limit. Make sure you let us know if you have larger equipment so that this can be specified in your policy cover.

What is your standard excess for tools?

The standard excess for our tool insurance is £100. This means that you are responsible for paying the first £100 of the claim for tools.

Does my van need specific security for my tools insurance to be valid?

Yes, when left unattended, you need to ensure that your vehicle is secure, with all the windows closed and all locks engaged. Where alarms are fitted, they must be set. Overnight, the van must be inside locked premises.

Are my employees' tools covered?

No, your employees' tools are not covered.

Our tool insurance policy will cover tools owned by the legal entity shown as the policy holder (whether that is you as a sole trader, a partnership or a limited company). Tools that you supply to direct employees or temporary labour-only sub-contractors in connection with your business activities will be covered.

However, our tool insurance policy will not cover personal tools owned/used by employees, or labour-only or bona-fide sub-contractors.

Do you offer tool insurance on a 'new for old' basis?

Yes, we provide cover for your tools on a 'new for old' or 'replacement as new' basis. Please ensure you keep us updated of the replacement value of all your tools, and remember to keep all the original receipts.

Do my tools present an increased risk to my employees and members of the public?

Failure to exercise prudent proactive risk management will potentially increase the risks of injury to staff or members of the public, as well as the potential for damage to their property.

Firms that have arranged cover to include direct employees or engage temporary labour only sub-contractors must:

  • Provide adequate supervision and training to staff – and maintain adequate records to evidence the safe and correct use of tools and equipment.
  • Complete regular risk assessments of processes and equipment associated with all your business activities, implementing a safe way/system of work.
  • Ensure that the tools you supply, are well maintained and remain in good condition free of defect. You can do this by maintaining an asset register and keeping records of your regular inspections.
  • Immediately withdraw / remove any worn or broken tools from a worksite and dispose of them correctly/safely.
  • Ensure portable electric tools are tested by competent persons in accordance with applicable legislation.

The above is not an exhaustive list and you should seek guidance from health and safety professionals for full guidance; read more on the Health and Safety Executive's website.

Can you provide JCT insurance?

We know JCT is becoming more and more desired as part of a tradesman insurance policy even though it still remains relatively difficult to find among the various providers.

We pride ourselves on not only being able to source this protection for those looking for it but also being able to accommodate many other types of cover you may need such as sub-contractors cover. Speak with one of our advisers about your needs and how we might be able to help.

What level of public liability do I need?

You need to consider:

  • The value, type and occupancy of the premises that you work at: working on high-value buildings or those containing many people, staff or members of the public will present higher risks
  • That buildings with high-tech companies or production lines present high-risk exposures
  • Your type of work: do you use processes that involve the application of heat or flame?
  • Does your main contractor or customer insist on minimum limits of indemnity contractually?

We will give prices on varying public liability indemnity limits to suit your circumstances, so you can make an informed decision.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.