Insurance for Sole Traders

Insurance can be daunting but you'll find the support you need at Towergate.

  • Not sure what you need? Our teams have the expertise to guide you
  • Save time, we’ll do the hard work to find you the suitable cover at a reasonable price
  • Choose all singing all dancing cover, or just the basics

If you know what you need you can get a quote and buy online

Get a quote

Need a quote? Call us and we'll guide you through the process

0344 346 0409
0344 346 0409

We’re here for you Mon - Thu 8:30am - 6.00pm, Fri - 8:30am - 5.30pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

One size doesn't always fit all, we mould a policy to fit your business:

We cover a range of businesses

Whether you work from home, are a mobile caterer, run a shop or an online business; we have options you can choose from to protect your way of working. We also insure a multitude of different types of business, you could run a fish mongers or a cobblers either way, we’ll help you to find the most suitable cover. There are still limits to what we can do and market traders and asbestos contractors are trades we can't cover.

We offer a range of features

It might be that all you need to cover is public liability. As such we’d help to arrange a basic policy for you. By contrast, some businesses will require cover for employees, equipment, buildings and more. In this case we can put together a bespoke package for you which combines the elements you need into one insurance package. Some things (e.g. cover for tools left in a vehicle over night) won't come as standard so it's worth being thorough with what you need.

Encouraging your business to grow

As you and your business grow and change we can adapt your policy to suit your new circumstances. If you’re a mobile caterer and you decide to purchase permanent premises, if you gain more employees or if you don’t need as many; we can alter your policy as and when you need us to. Just let us know when things change and we’ll take a look at how we can help. Just remember that your premium may change too.

Helping you choose from a panel of insurers

Once we've established the type of business you run and identified your businesses individual needs, we can go to our panel of insurers and find the best suited policy at the most reasonable price. The insurers we use are shown below and it’s likely you'll recognise some familiar names.

Insurance for Sole Traders Claims

As we use a panel of insurers, the claims team you will need to contact varies depending on the insurer who administrates your policy. Your policy documents will include the right claims telephone number for you, so it’s important you keep hold of these just in case.

We like to keep claiming as straight forward as possible. For added support, we have our own in house claims assistants who will help you with any issues you come across during the process. They can help you to liaise with your insurer or just guide you to the correct contact numbers for your policy.

Need some assistance?

If you need support from our team you can call them on:

0344 892 1384

Insurance for Sole Traders Articles & Guides

We've got a whole hub of information about the different things we insure, here are a few that might be of interest:

The Greatest TED Talk Ever Sold


10 Must-Watch TED Talks for Business Owners

If you're a business owner, you may need some inspiration or advice at times. Let's face it, we all do! TED Talks bring amazing minds together to present their thoughts and ideas on a variety of topics - and there are a lot of ideas out there! To save you going through all of them, we've picked our top 10 for business owners.



Social Media for Small Business: A Guide

If you’re reading this, you already know the importance of the Internet for a business! More than ever, the Web, and social media in particular, is becoming the marketplace – so how can your small business make the most of social media? Let’s take some of the `mystery out of it with our guide to social media.

hero image


Internet and Digital Marketing Advice for Tradesmen

Tradespeople and sole traders can benefit from digital marketing, social media and search engine optimisation like never before with simple techniques. Our article talks you through the basics of internet marketing for tradesmen.

Insurance for Sole Traders FAQs

What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?

Public liability insurance is very often required by businesses as part of their insurance package. It covers your legal responsibility to provide compensation if a member of the public is injured, or has their property damaged as a consequence of an accident directly linked to negligence on behalf of your business.

How much liability insurance do I need?

We can advise you on the different kinds of liability insurance your business will require like whether you need employer’s liability of product liability.
What we can’t tell you is the limit of liability insurance you should take out. It’s very unique to your business and may sometimes be influenced by local councils or authorities. If you’re struggling to figure out what you need it’s worth speaking to local authorities and councils to see if they have a minimum requirement you should adhere to.

What is product liability cover and why do I need it?

Product liability cover insures your legal responsibility for the products you make available to the public. If you serve food this could be related to a case of food poisoning. If you sell specific products it could be to do with injury caused by the malfunction of one of those products which subsequently causes injury or damage to a third party or their property. It depends on your type of business but our team can help advise on whether it’s something you need or not.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.