Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Builders Insurance

Build a solid foundation for your business – talk to the experts at Towergate about Builders Liability insurance.

  • Builders cover can account to 5 key skills
  • Can include difficult-to-find cover such as JCT insurance
  • Builders insurance for both hazardous and non-hazardous locations

Compare builders insurance quotes from our panel

Get a quote

Retrieve your quote >>

Got a special request? Call our specialist team to see what they can do for you

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What does a builders insurance policy cover?

Liability insurance for builders

Whatever type of work you are doing, from building a wall to an extension, we’ll help you ensure you have sufficient builders’ public liability and products liability cover in place, with limits up to £10 million or even higher available on request. As your business grows you may take on staff too – we can provide employers’ liability insurance covering temporary, permanent and sub-contracted employees up to £10 million to meet your regulatory requirements.

Builders tools insurance

With a flexible tools cover limit set by you, we can cover your tools and all types of equipment. We can also include employees' tools, specialist equipment and hired plant too. Tools must be locked securely outside business hours, and a single item value limit may apply.

Specialist types of cover with our builders insurance

Many insurers have trouble providing some of the more specialist types of cover. Our brokers can source builders’ insurance policies which include many features such as joint contracts tribunal (JCT) insurance, non-negligence insurance and contractors all-risks (CAR) cover for your own plant, hired-in plant, and contract works. We can even provide trade-specific cover such as professional indemnity for PAT testing and conditioning reports (EICRs) depending on the nature of the work you do.

Flexible builders insurance, including for hazardous locations

You can build your own quote and buy online via our website or alternatively, speak directly with an experienced adviser for a comprehensive review of your requirements. Do you need immediate cover? Or require builders’ insurance for work in a hazardous location? Perhaps you require evidence of insurance to get on site or tender for a new contract? No problem, we can get you on cover immediately via the phone and email your policy documents the same day.

Builders Insurance Claims

If and when it comes to the crunch and you need to make a claim, we'll send the details of your claim to the insurer to get your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

If there are any complications with your claim, we’ll follow this up with the insurer and keep you updated with the progress of your claim.

Need to make a claim?

Call us or email us with; your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

0344 346 0409

Builders Insurance Articles & Guides

Get tips and advice from our industry experts to ensure you get the best out of your builders insurance.

What Is Professional Indemnity Insurance

insurance guide

Business Insurance Buyers Guide

Business insurance is designed to protect businesses from losses which may occur during normal business proceedings. This guide will look at what business insurance covers and how it can protect you.

Unoccupied Property Guide

insurance guide

Unoccupied Home Insurance Explained

One in seven property owners in the UK leaves their property empty for more than one month at a time, meaning that many of us will require unoccupied property insurance at some point in our lives. This guide explains the key features of unoccupied property insurance and advice to keep your home protected while you are away.

Builders Insurance FAQs

Are labour-only sub-contractors covered in the same way that direct PAYE staff are under the employer’s liability policy?

Yes. We can cover both types of employers for the same risks although it is very important to declare how your workforce are employed as this will affect how your risks are calculated.

Can you provide JCT insurance and can you cover my sub-contractors tools?

We know JCT is becoming more and more desired as part of a tradesman insurance even though it still remains relatively difficult to find amongst the various providers. We pride ourselves on not only being able to source this protection for those looking for it but also being able to accommodate any other types of cover you may need such as sub-contractors and employees’ tools cover. Speak with one of our advisers about your needs and how we might be able to help.

Why do I need builder-specific insurance?

All builders’ circumstances are different and therefore some general policies may contain inadequacies that could potentially leave your business uninsured in the event of a major loss. You can avoid this with an industry-specific policy from Towergate.

Why does a builder need public liability insurance?

Builders face many risks in their line of work. Unfortunately, no matter how well prepared you are, mistakes can happen – and a single slip could be disastrous for you and your business. Legal action, in respect of liability for personal injury or property damage arising from your activities is a real threat. Protect yourself, your clients, your equipment, and your business, with a flexible insurance policy specifically tailored to exactly match your requirements.

Can I pay in instalments?

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.