Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Unoccupied Home Insurance for Those Who Work Abroad

Generally a property which is left unattended and unchecked is more at risk than one lived in. It’s purely because there’s no one there to catch a problem before it causes damage or catch a problem before it gets worse.

When a property is left unoccupied there can be higher risk of:

Unoccupied properties in the UK

One in seven of property owners in the UK leave their property empty for more than one month at a time. This is where a regular insurance policy may no longer be enough. When leaving your UK home unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time, there are usually conditions you must comply with to keep your insurance valid. For any longer than this, you may find your cover drop to a skeleton policy which includes only public liability and possibly fire cover, if you’re lucky.

Temporarily vacant properties

If you’re heading away for a short period of time and it’s a one off, there are policies out there to cover your home for a short time without having to buy a full year’s insurance. Unoccupied property insurance from Towergate for example, can be bought for three, six, nine or twelve months at a time. So if your business trip is for 3 months you can buy home insurance to cover the 90 days for which the home is unoccupied, and then switch back to a regular insurance policy.

If you have a holiday/second home which is unoccupied

A specialist holiday home insurance policy will be catered to the fact that you’re going to be leaving the home empty, potentially for periods of time. It’s worth discussing with your insurance provider however; depending on the circumstances it may be that the home is considered to be a second home.

Storm, flood, fire and theft - these may sound like the basics but they are very important when insuring an unoccupied home. Like we mentioned earlier, these are sometimes excluded by policies which are not designed to insure unoccupied homes so make sure you check!

Lastly, just be aware of what you’re buying. Is always best to speak to a specialist insurance provider who will be happy to guide you through what you are covered for and the terms of your cover. So you understand your insurance and stay covered all the year round.

Unoccupied home insurance from Towergate

For more information, visit our unoccupied home insurance webpage or call one of our specialist advisers on 0344 892 1750.

This is a marketing article by Towergate Insurance.

Read more industry articles

News Empty Home

A Guide to Empty Property Rates

Has your property been left unoccupied? This guide explains rates and reliefs for empty properties and how to protect your unoccupied home.

View article
Series hero image

Home Insurance Advice for Renovations and Unoccupied Properties

If you’re developing or renting a property, it’s likely you’ll need some specific insurance. Developer James Dewane talks us through some of the considerations, so if you’re...

View article
Home And Property Thumb

How to Keep Your Holiday Home Safe and Secure

As holiday homes are regularly left unoccupied, they can be more susceptible to flooding / escape of water, break-ins and damage from the elements. However there are ways...

View article
Costal Holiday Home Exposed Thumb

How to Protect Your Holiday Home from the Elements

Purchasing property abroad is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make. Naturally you want to protect that investment, especially when your holiday home is left unoccupied...

View article