A Video Guide to Unoccupied Property Insurance

If your property is unoccupied, your insurance needs will be different from standard property insurance policy. In this video we define unoccupied from an insurance perspective and explain the features to look out for.


Video transcript:

A property which is left vacant for 30 or more consecutive days is deemed to be “unoccupied” by insurers.

This sometimes happens if the property is being renovated, if the property is awaiting probate or pending sale or let. If your property is due to be or is currently unoccupied, your standard home insurance may not cover you. Here at Towergate, we’ve developed a range of options for a range of circumstances.

Firstly, we can arrange a cover period based around the length of time the property will be unoccupied. We offer 3, 6, 9 and 12 month cover.

The next step for us is finding out what you’d like covered. We can cover buildings or contents individually or provide you with a policy which protects both.

The level of cover you require is also important. We offer three options to provide some flexibility according to your requirements. They are:

  • Fire, Lighting, Earthquake and Explosion cover only
  • Cover Excluding Escape of Water cover
  • Full cover which covers a range of perils including Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Escape of Water, Theft and Attempted Theft.

Some of our customers request legal expenses cover for that extra bit of financial protection. We can add £50,000 of cover to your policy for this purpose. It will come at an additional charge but features:

  • Removal of squatters from the property
  • Property damage
  • Personal Identity Theft
  • 24 hour Legal helpline

As there’s no one at your property, that makes it more susceptible to criminal damage, break ins and squatters. To keep your property secure, we recommend the following:

  • Key operated devices on all opening windows and skylights
  • An approved lock or mortice deadlocks of at least 5 levers
  • Or a rim automatic dead latch with a key locking handle on the inside

Finally, if your property is being renovated, we can cover you but we’ll need to know some further information. Give us a call and one of our advisers will take you through everything you need to know and ask you all the relevant questions to ensure your property stays covered during renovation works.

We’d like to be able to cover you for any eventuality. However, as with all insurance, it’s best to read the terms and conditions to find out about the exclusions and excesses attached to the policy. Give us a call or enquire online to find out whether Towergate can provide your unoccupied property insurance.

Want to find out more about our Unoccupied Property Insurance?

More details